Bachuil House

Announcements from the Chief of MacLea, the ancient historical name of the Livingstones.
Greg Livingston

Bachuil House

Post by Greg Livingston »

I was asked to post this message I received from our Chief this morning:

My wife, Anita, my mother, Valerie, and I have very reluctantly decided to put Bachuil and Hawthorn Houses on the market. We have discussed this with my daughters, brother and sisters and all are agreed.

For 90% of the time Bachuil is far too big for Anita and me and the ongoing maintenance is becoming too much for me to tackle on my own. Last year I got into a perilous position taking scaffolding down and I have come to the conclusion that my back is quite simply not up to putting scaffolding up again. I have no wish to follow in my father’s footsteps and fall off the roof.

We are keeping the land for historical reasons.

As many of you know, on a good day, Lismore is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and despite grumbles we do get a great many. For instance when we got back from holidays in February our rain water tanks were half empty. For the next fourteen weeks we had only seven days with any rain at all.

Unfortunately, as we have to run a B&B we are not able to take much advantage of the beautiful summers. Dinner bed and breakfast is pretty full on from 6am to midnight seven days a week. We have decided that we don’t want to be stuck in this position in our 80s so are acting now.

I know this decision will come as a great shock to many. It has not been easy but we have had to face the inevitable. As yet we have not decided where we shall all move to but it will probably be the South West of England.

I am sure that you all join me in support Niall and all of his family with this major change in their lives.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Re: Bachuil House

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Your Clan and Clan Society wishes you, Anita, Valerie, and the whole family the best. I hope the sale is quick and pain-free and you are able to find a buyer who is keen to preserve the amazing historical Houses. While the whole Clan may feel a tiny bit of your loss, I know this was a tough decision for everyone involved.

Sending warm thoughts your way, Niall. This is the right decision for the time in your lives, and I know your next adventures will be wonderful and you will retain the ancient lands and their powerful connection to St Moluag's times, preserving that Clan linkage and history for the next generation. Cnoc Aingeal.

All best,
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Baron Livingstone,

I can only imagine how difficult that decision must have been for you and your family, but I totally understand the challenges you were facing maintaining your old ancestral home. Wishing you and Anita all the happiness and a stress free life with your new home. I look forward to hearing from from our clansman David Michael Livingston about his visit to Bachuil and rest of Lismore in September.

regards,

Donald
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Well wishes with the sale of this property that must mean so much to you, prayers to St. Joseph for a speedy and stress free sale. Let's hope the extra time you find will will quickly ease any reluctance you may have had selling that beautiful property.

Regards,

Jerry
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

I trust that all goes well for you and the family in your sale and the move, and only wish that I could afford to buy it. I would love to live in Scotland, and to actually be in the area of my ancestors would be fantastic - but unrealistic for me, although I do hope to visit at some stage (having driven down the opposite shore as I travelled from Ballachulish to Oban) now I know more of its connection to our family. Good luck to you all.