Highland Livingstone book

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All, From the published 1779 Argyll Census, baptism and marriage records and other sources we have a large number of names of Livingstones who lived on the Isle of Lismore, Movern, Mull and the adjacent areas in Argyll at one time under the Barons influence. Unfortunately many of these people and their families are just names to us, their children having for most part been forced from their farms, resettled elsewhere and subsequently departed from their homeland. In memory of these Livingstones,I have thought it would be nice to keep a formal entry book at Bachuil recording and keeping track of settlement dates and locations of Livingstones in the 19th century who left the Baron's domain, whom we have some knowledge of. Unfortunately not everyone has this information, but in cases where we have such information it would be nice to have it formally recorded in an entry book and of course on the website as well. I know of a few including my ancestor and Rob's and there are a few more I think I could contribute. This would be a continual work in progress as slowly other Livingstones from Canada, U.S, Australia, New Zealand etc. are located with any settlement dates they could contribute to the entry book. Anyways it something I'd like to see happen and may be of interest to Alistair and Niall. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Certainly seems like a worthy project, Donald!
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Yes I agree that it can be put together via the forum and the website. Basically brief entries stating name of Livingstone ancestor birthdate and death date, name of wife if known, place of birth if known, from whence in Argyll departed and when. Where settled? I personally like the idea of this developing into some sort of leather bound log book with ongoing entries that would be housed at Bachuil, but I see what your saying about that. Perhaps a good quality three ring binder at Bachuil and one with Niall in which the pages and entries could be from time to time updated. It is a challenge when not everyone has a record on the birthplace of their ancestor and the fact that many like of these Livingstones like Dr. David Livingstone's great-grandfather and many others from our clan moved around Argyll like displaced gypsies looking for a place to work or live. Closer to home for displaced Morvern Livingstones one might find work at Tobermory in Mull or father off at Bowmore at the Isle of Islay if one had a trade such a carpentry and boatbuilding as my kin did. I agree Kyle that feedback from Niall would be beneficial. Thanks for yours.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All, At this early stage this idea of an entry book leaves me with the initial project of researching Highland Livingstone emigration to British North America between 1770's and the 1840's. Some may have settled in North Carolina between 1760 and the Revolutionary War, but thats a research project for later. There may possibly be some American Loyalists who fled to Canada after the American Revolution also with the name Livingston who will have be sorted out as to whether they are of highland ancestry. Between the 1770's and 1820's there was much settlement of Nova Scotia including Cape Breton, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island by Highlanders. Between 1803 and 1807 there was a substantial amount of emigration to Prince Edward Island. Lord Selkirk for one had acquired 80,000 acres by 1803 and in 1806 one Donald Livingstone 1754-1840 and his wife Mary natives of Morvern that had apparently being residing at Mull left Tobermory and settled at Lot 65 in Queens County on Lord Selkirks land. I have located some early highland Livingstones in Nova Scotia, but have not discovered a settlement date for them yet. More about them later as details emerge. So the PEI Livingstones have my REd RIver Livingstones beat by six years. Lets see if I can find any Argyll Livingstones that arrived in British North America earlier than 1806, perhaps at Cape Breton or elsewhere in Nova Scotia.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All, As a update to my previous e-mail there was an Angus Livingstone that settled at Cape Breton, Boularderie Island, present day Nova Scotia circa 1819, but alternative information suggests that settler John Livingstone arrived at Low Point,Cape Breton as early 1807 or 1806. Information on Angus only states that he was born abt. 1773 in Argyllshire but he received a grant at Kilninian in Cape Breton which was named after a Parish in Mull. It seems quite likely that he himself originated from Mull or neighbouring Movern. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I think this idea has considerable merit, and has been raised privately a few times. I think that there should be two books.  We already have a visitor
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Niall, I appreciate your comments on this and realize that you have other things on the go at present. Hoping that when it comes together in a more coherent plan that it will meet with your and the Baron's approval and support. I think that this organized emigration and settlement data collection will be beneficial to those searching for their long lost Livingstone ancestors, but more than that we will be remembering and honouring our displaced clan. As a starting point, I have Mull and Movern Livingstones settling begining in 1806 in Nova Scotia and neighbouring Prince Edward Island in what is today Maritime Canada. Lord Selkirk acquired land in P.E.I in 1803 and did much to encourage Scottish settlement during this period.I have access to Upper Canada records and will take a look at the possibility of any Highland Livingstones settling here before 1806. Also have information on Lord Selkirk's settlement of Red River, British North AMerica, present day Winnipeg, Manitoba where my ancestor Miles Livingstone, his brother Donald Livingstone JR, a cousin Donald LIvingstone b.1791 and a Jessie Livingstone arrived in 1812. Also subsequent information the father Neil Livingstone of Donald Livingstone b. 1791 and his brothers and sisters whom were encouraged to settle at REd River in 1819. I have access to letters from Scotland written by Donald Livingstone b. 1791 and other family correspondence regarding settlement at Red RIver. Miles left Red River in 1815 for Upper Canada. Donald Livingstone b. 1791 and his brothers remained at Red RIver for many years, but settled at Scotchgrove, Delaware County, Iowa between 1835 and 1840. There is also some info on Miles and some of the other Argyll Livingstones that settled in Upper Canada (Ontario) after 1815 near Miles. The area where Miles settled after 1819 was not surprisingly referred to as the "Scotch Block". Obviously there are folks here from Australia who have there own collection of Livingstone settlers and settlement dates that they might be willing to share. This is a win situation all the way round because it will help new people connect with their Livingstone ancestors and help people who currently use this site locate kin and new information. sincerely yours, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Great idea Donald, My GGG Grandfather John Livingstone arrived from Mull on PEI on the Tobermory in 1806. He quickly settled in Low Point Nova Scotia in 1806 or 1807. He married a Christie McPhee.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, I am not certain of the first Argyll Livingstones to settle in British North AMerica, but your ancestor and a Donald Livingstone a native of Movern and later of neighbouring Mull who settled in Prince Edward Island also in 1806 are first that I located so far. My ancestor Miles Livingstone working on the Island of Islay but a native of Movern, arrived at the Selkirk Settlement in what is now Pembina, North Dakota and Winnipeg Manitoba along the Red River six years after that. There may have been Livingstones come up from the states after the Revolutionary War to Upper Canada, but I have not as determined their origins. There was a Lowland Livingstone family well established, land owning and in the colonial government in New York State at the time of the Revolution, but they were for the most part I think supporters of the Revolution. Oddly enough I am probably related to this New York State Lowland Livingstone family on my mothers side; my father is descended from Highland Livingstones from Movern nearby to Mull and the Isle of Lismore. Yes I think a list of Livingstone settlers would be of interest to a number of Livingstones and McLeas. I realize that some settlement dates and departures from Scotland will be aproximate in some cases, but this will be a work in progress and can be updated once more information is found. In any event one can work with what one knows about their ancestor as a starting point. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink