Roll Call

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

Roll Call

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Craig Any hope of finding the McClays in Spain for a DNA comparion? I recently heard that the MacLeods who went to Poland are now called Machlejd. The Spens in Scandinavia, Germany and the Czech Republic all seem to use the spelling Spens. Regards Andrew
Grant South1

Roll Call

Post by Grant South1 »

Craig, Thank you, interesting research, I see another possible connection! The three McLea's who went to Ireland settled in Ulster and did not return to Scotland. They were the son's of the McLea Baron of Linsaig. I believe this branch are cadets of the McLeas of Achnacree. I also see that Katherine McLea nee Uchiltree, wife of the late Baron of Linsaig was infeft in the lands of Linsaig by Achibald Campbell, Marquis of Argyle. It happens that my later ancestress was named Catherine Clee. Katherine McLea being the mother of the three McLea gentlemen of Linsaig in Ulster. John McCley in Raphoe is important as I have not previously seen this variant recorded in Donegal. Although I do see Mackley as a variant of Mac Donnshleibhe in Black's Surnames of Scotland. Tapadh Leibh! Thank You! Grant.
Bachuil

Roll Call

Post by Bachuil »

Would people like a members page- a place for a photo and brief bio? Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Grant South1

Roll Call

Post by Grant South1 »

Craig, I find Hugh Clee recorded in 1796 in Leck Parish, Letterkenny. It looks as though our ancestor's lived not far from each other. All the best. Grant
Kyle2 MacLea

Members pages

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I think this wouldn't be a bad idea.
Craig McClay Wilson

Roll Call

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi Grant, Interesting connection.
Jewel Brown1

Roll Call

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

I'm Jewel Brown 58 years old and living in Munster,Indiana. I am the GGG Grandaughter of John Livingstone
Keith Livingstone Australia

Members pages

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Excellent idea!
Glenn McLea

Roll Call

Post by Glenn McLea »

Kyle - Greetings.
Alec Levack

Roll Call

Post by Alec Levack »

'Hello, My name is Alexander Levack (Alec), born Helmsdale, Sutherland 03/02/1962. I currently live on the Black Isle near Dingwall in Ross-shire with my wife and 3 children. Although living in Ross-shire, I still have the family crofts in Gartymore, Helmsdale, which we use for holidays and weekends. Working in the oil industry takes me away from home quite a bit unfortunately. My g,g, grandfather was Benjamin Levack, born Caithness 1804, the youngest son of Alexander Levack, born 17??. Benjamin''s oldest brother was born 1794.