Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

An early holiday wish to everyone on the Forum at this time of year!
Jason Livingstone

Post by Jason Livingstone »

And I echo Kyle's sentiment. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. As a newbie Livingstone/MacLea Forum poster (is that the right term) I have found reading the posts quite fascinating, and I am now badgering the older members of my family to write down everything they know on family history etc! Wonderful tales are falling out left right and centre to be added to the childhood stories of Christmas' gone. Is anyone out there related to a Livingstone who was a light house keeper around the 1850's stationed in Valencia Isand (off Ireland) and then St Davids Head Wales? I would be interested to know. Prior to this ancient so the story goes we were living
Heather Livingston Willis1

Highland Christmas Traditions

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

I have been wondering if anyone in this forum could share some Christmas traditions that are unique to highlanders.
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Hello...... Wishing all the Clan a Happy Hogmanay and the very best of wishes for the New Year!
Bachuil

Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath

Post by Bachuil »

My understanding is that the exchange of presents on Christmas is a recent phenomenon which resulted in an Anglo-American corruption of the Dutch/German celebration of Santa Claus. Santa Claus is named after St Nicholas, bishop of Myra (an ancient city along the Mediterranean coast of what is now Turkey) who died on December 6, A.D. 345 or 352, and was buried in a small church in Myra. The Dutch/German tradition has Sinter Klaas sailing from Spain with a Moorish helper named Black Peter.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Thanks Niall! 2 things: 1. Now you have to tell us how to pronounce and understand the title of your post! 2. I believe 6/12 Sinter Klaas is not celebrated in Germany, but it is certainly celebrated here in Belgium. It is a little difficult to explain what Father Christmas is about to my kids. In Dutch he is of course never called Sinter Klaas, only the Kerstman (Christmas man). Santa Claus in English does come from Dutch, and apparently entered English in New York, along with other American Dutch terms like spook, coleslaw, cookie and so on. Regards Andrew
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Hi Heather, I can't say how general a tradition it was but the making of Christmas shortbread was traditional with my father's family.
Allan Livingstone1

Post by Allan Livingstone1 »

Wishing you all at home and abroad a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year.I would like to add that when I buy the Oban Times every week I always look to see what the news is from Lismore, and it is a pleasure to read about an island where the people always seem to stick together whether it is for a charity event or somebody's retiral celebration.Also it is a joy to see everybody fighting their corner to protect Lismore and what seems to be a very enjoyable place to live.
Heather Livingston Willis1

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

Hello Everyone!
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Hi Heather, Sounds like a very interesting church service, happy you enjoyed it.