Roll Call

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Roll Call

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Hi Steve, First, I want to thank you for all the work you put into your website.
Bryan Livingston

Roll Call

Post by Bryan Livingston »

Good morning all.
Bryan Livingston

Members pages

Post by Bryan Livingston »

I agree.
Kaye Saunders2

Roll Call

Post by Kaye Saunders2 »

I haven't been researching this side of my family for some time and I had forgotten about this site - but an email this morning reminded me. So, to introduce myself.
Jill Richmond

Roll Call

Post by Jill Richmond »

I have been a member of the forum for around two years, but I have not yet added my name to the Roll Call, and I think it is time that I did. I am Jill Richmond, maiden surname Livingston. I am aged 68 and I live in S.W. Scotland. I am currently researching my ancestors in the eighteenth century and encountering problems. The tree reaches back to my gt. gt. gt. grandfather, Archibald, who must have been born mid-eighteenth century. It states on the family tree that he married a MacDougall of Dunollie. The Bachuil told me some years ago that her name was Betsy, and that name also appears on my gt. gt. Grandfather, Alexander's death certificate. However, I have been unable to find any record of Betsy and Archibald's marriage, or of any issue. Last Year I employed the services of a genealogist, and she came up with a very different answer: namely that Archibald Livingston married a Mary McDougall. My gt.gt. grandfather's birth is not recorded, but his father is listed as being a tenant at Soroba, Craignish, Argyll in 1791, which is where and when my gt.gt. grandfather was born. I am inclined to think that Mary McDougall is my gt.gt.gt. grandmother, firstly because of the Highland naming patterns, i.e. the eldest son was named after his paternal grandfather, the eldest daughter was named after her maternal grandmother, the second son was named after his maternal grandfather and the second daughter was named after her paternal grandmother. This pattern fits my family if Mary McDougall was Archibald Livingston's wife. Furthermore, my family were poor tenant farmers, and it seems unlikely that a MacDougall of Dunollie would marry one of them. On the other hand Bachuil told me that Archibald married Betsy MacDougall of Dunollie, and the name Betsy McDougall appears on Archibald's son's death certificate. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this? I wonder whether Rob, with his great fund of Livingstone knowledge, knows? Needless to say, my family have always held that David Livingstone was a distant cousin!
Jill Richmond
Jill Richmond

Roll Call

Post by Jill Richmond »

I have been a member of the forum for around two years, but I have not yet added my name to the Roll Call, and I think it is time that I did. I am Jill Richmond, maiden surname Livingston. I am aged 68 and I live in S.W. Scotland. I am currently researching my ancestors in the eighteenth century and encountering problems. The tree reaches back to my gt. gt. gt. grandfather, Archibald, who must have been born mid-eighteenth century. It states on the family tree that he married a MacDougall of Dunollie. The Bachuil told me some years ago that her name was Betsy, and that name also appears on my gt. gt. Grandfather, Alexander's death certificate. However, I have been unable to find any record of Betsy and Archibald's marriage, or of any issue. Last Year I employed the services of a genealogist, and she came up with a very different answer: namely that Archibald Livingston married a Mary McDougall. My gt.gt. grandfather's birth is not recorded, but his father is listed as being a tenant at Soroba, Craignish, Argyll in 1791, which is where and when my gt.gt. grandfather was born. I am inclined to think that Mary McDougall is my gt.gt.gt. grandmother, firstly because of the Highland naming patterns, i.e. the eldest son was named after his paternal grandfather, the eldest daughter was named after her maternal grandmother, the second son was named after his maternal grandfather and the second daughter was named after her paternal grandmother. This pattern fits my family if Mary McDougall was Archibald Livingston's wife. Furthermore, my family were poor tenant farmers, and it seems unlikely that a MacDougall of Dunollie would marry one of them. On the other hand Bachuil told me that Archibald married Betsy MacDougall of Dunollie, and the name Betsy McDougall appears on Archibald's son's death certificate. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this? I wonder whether Rob, with his great fund of Livingstone knowledge, knows? Needless to say, my family have always held that David Livingstone was a distant cousin!
Jill Richmond
Andrew Lancaster4

Roll Call

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Connection to Dr Livingstone or not, the fact that you can trace back to Ballachulish would make your family a prize catch for the DNA project! It would help determine how the original families in the clan were related. See: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm Best Regards Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

Roll Call

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Jill, I think probably you're just going to have to weigh the evidence and see what you think makes the most sense.
Kyle2 MacLea

Roll Call

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I'll echo Andrew's call - if you have a male relative of the surname, please put in a word for the DNA project!
Jill Richmond

Roll Call

Post by Jill Richmond »

Dear Kyle and Andrew, Many thanks for your interest in my posting.
Jill Richmond