Liebenstein/Livingston/Stein/Rock/Boggs

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

In a previous posting, Leonard Livingston discussed his family's tradition that they came to America from Germany with the surname Liebenstein, which they then changed to Livingston because of the similarity of the names meanings - "living-stone".
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Dear Rob From memory, at 12 markers especially, and even at 25, you and the Steins and Liebensteins share one of the most common DNA signatures in both Germany and Scotland - or at least a small variation from it. So I think it is worth comparing as many markers as possible. Regards Andrew
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

After reading the messages about the Steins, I approached a young German fellow that works for the same company as I.

Sorry, I failed to mention, the German fellow was named Stein. Bob L
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Well thank you for making me look at my toes. :) haha I never knew the long toe theory and now I am a little puzzled at my own toes. - On my left foot my second toes is a good deal shorter then my first - On my right foot they are the same size, my second toe might be a smidge longer if I compare from top of toenail to top of toe nail. Thank you, now I am going to be wondering for a while. Hahaha David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States

Hi David, I imagine that got everybody looking at their feet.
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

The Link seems to be broken or not found.... So I Googled it and got the Cached version. Here it is for anyone who wants to read it. "Today, after returning from a lovely weekend up in Big Bear, my friend stopped by and asked to examine my feet. Since we've been friends for some time, I didn't protest. She then pulled out an article (June 1996) from Discover Magazine which discusses the work of Phyllis Jackson, a retired Gloucestershire podiatrist. Apparently, Jackson noticed the distinct differences between Celtic and Saxon feet during WWII and has gone on, in amateur archeology, to identify the Saxons and Celts in a sixth century cemetery based on their feet. English feet, according to Jackson, "tend to be broad and somewhat pointed--their toes form a steep angle from the first to the fifth..." The Celtic feet are longer and slimmer with more level toe tips. Celtic feet also have a bulge at the base of the big toe where bunions tended to form as a result of forcing their feet into English shaped shoes during WWII. I don't know if her theories have been proven scientifically, but if you are interested you can check your own feet...or your neighbor's.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States