MacDonald DNA project

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

MacDonald DNA project

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Just a note. I'm always a little cautious about ANY calculations about recent ancestor when we are dealing with this type of DNA signature, which as you know is not far from the most common type in Europe. The normal calculations can not take any account of the fact that there are millions of people standing around who need only one or two small mutations to make them look like they come from the Argyll and the Isles. (Does Argyll include the Isles?) Those people are outside the model so to speak. In addition to making a probability based calculation you need some idea about whether there are millions of near neighbours, or thousands. www.yhrd.org is a good place to get an idea. With that database, some types which look very common on www.ysearch.org (which if full of people with Scottish blood), look non-existant in Europe; while others that seem rare in the UK (like my own E3b type) are actually very common as one moves away from the North Sea coast into Europe. Good luck with it. Tell me what you find by the way, because I am trying to keep a "DNA discussion" webpage up-to-date on ideas about things like this with Maclea, Livingston and Boggs DNA. Andrew