Enquiring

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Hamish Mcleay

Enquiring

Post by Hamish Mcleay »

Hello Have kept my eye on web for a while.  Live in Banffshire area where family have lived for a number of generations.  Have traced back to Murdoch McLea(no y) who was a shoemaker in the Dingwall area1700s before moving to Keith in Banffshire then next generation on to Whitehills in Banffshire were my family still live.  Interested in site but much of the conversation passes me by.  Any reading advice info for a beginner...stopped at Lismore in the summertime on the way back from Ireland sailing but only had a few hours.  Walked the length of the island and phoned for a taxi back to the boat.  Was collected by a farmers wife in her car named Livingstone who took myself and crew back to her farm for tea and scones but neither her nor her husband were much help information ways with regard to Livingston McLeay.  Visited the church which was superb before sailing back to Port Appin where the hotel was also superb.     Regards Hamish
Bachuil

Enquiring

Post by Bachuil »

Welcome to the forum Hamish. You met Dorothy and John Livingstone. There is very little information published. your best bet is www.clanlivingstoe.com there is quire a lot there. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

Enquiring

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Dear Hamish I wonder if you'd be interested in joining the DNA study? This is a study which compares the different Livingston, Maclea etc bloodlines which carry the surname. We've found interesting connections, and we expect more in the future. The test only requires some saliva and is only useful for saying which family you are in - so not the type of tests used in forensics or paternity tests. This is basically an extension of the old concept of a surname study. Here is a summary of recent results (updated today): http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm Best Regards Andrew Lancaster co-adminstrator of the Maclea, Livingston, Boggs DNA project
Hamish Mcleay

Enquiring

Post by Hamish Mcleay »

dorothy and john were great and very kind to us.planning to come back tp lismore next july on way to st kilda.will spend longer this time and plan ahead to find out whats worh seeing.be good to meet folk[clan cheif in particular] interested in dna test and want to find out more about it. murdoch mclea was in dingwall area 1770s approx if thats a help to anyone              thanks hamish
Andrew Lancaster4

Enquiring

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi again Hamish If you have any quesitons about the DNA project that are not answered on the web page of one of its main links, please feel free to ask them. If you want to contact me directly my mail address is andrew.lancaster@skynet.be We'd love to have you! Regards Andrew
Hamish Mcleay

Enquiring

Post by Hamish Mcleay »

sent you an email re dna. would like to find out more about connection and people using this site.its all very interesting and seems quite a lot of people do not live in scotland. just a beginner on computer so hope email gets to you. looking forward to going again to lismore again in july and will be better prepared this time.is there people on the island who have clan connections still.