McPhail/Livingston migration to Prince Edward Island 1806

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

In tracing my own family line, which we believe to be tied at some stage to David Livingstone in Blantyre, I have discovered that John Livingstone, a weaver, was the son of Angus Livingston(e) and Margaret McPhail, and was born b/w 1796 and 1806, most likely in Mull. This search uncovered a mass migration of Livingston(e)s and McPhails who migrated to Prince Edward Island in 1806 on the brig Rambler. I got some information from the following site: www.islandregister.com/livingston1.html
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi Keith So what is the connection to Blantyre? Regards Andrew

About 80% of my post was deleted in cyberspace! Here is the whole post, if it copies: In tracing my own family line, which we believe to be tied at some stage to David Livingstone in Blantyre, I have discovered that John Livingstone, a weaver, was the son of Angus Livingston(e) and Margaret McPhail, and was born b/w 1796 and 1806, most likely in Mull. This search uncovered a mass migration of Livingston(e)s and McPhails who migrated to Prince Edward Island in 1806 on the brig Rambler. I got some information from the following site: www.islandregister.com/livingston1.html "The "MacPHAILS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI" have two subsets involving a LIVINGSTON family who came from Mull to PEI in the brig "Rambler" in 1806 and took up land at Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65, PEI. In the tree details that follow, the earliest known members of that LIVINGSTON family are given and the two subsets identified and followed through the years. In addition, information is provided on the three brothers of Donald LIVINGSTON (who married Flora McPHAIL) and Flora LIVINGSTON (who married Donald McPHAIL). Their details are given in the second generation with some further information on their children that may be of use to LIVINGSTON researchers." Apparently an Angus Livingston who had served in the navy during the Napoleonic wars turned up some years later across the water in Cape Breton, and is buried at Big Bras D'Or in Nova Scotia. I quote from the following website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~capstick/livngstn.html ARRIVAL IN CAPE BRETON The progenitor of the Boularderie Livingstons and Livingstones was Angus Livingstone (variously spelled on census returns and petitions as Leviston, Livingston, and Livingstone). By his own account, he arrived in Cape Breton in September 1819 and was the first settler on the west side of Boularderie Island2. Born in Argyllshire,Scotland circa 1773, he had served in the Navy aboard the Royal George during the Napoleonic War. He was married with eight children in 1820 when he made his first petition for land on the west side of Boularderie. The grant was named Kilninian, which is also the name of both a parish and a town on the Isle of Mull. It is unknown whether Angus was accompanied by his wife and all his children; I have found evidence of four who married and stayed in Boularderie and one who received a land grant and then resigned it and returned to Europe." According to Steve Wilson's site , http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... /index.htm  there was a family of Livingstones/McPhails in Blantyre that was closely associated with David's family, although the family relationship is still unclear. "There were other Livingstone families living in Blantyre at the same time as David Livingstone, the African missionary and explorer, and his parents and grandparents. This page contains information about Donald and Catherine Livingstone and their descendants. In Campbell's history, reference is made to a letter written in 1891 by David's brother John to the historian A. Maclean Sinclair, which included the names Donald and Duncan among the brothers of David's father. Probably on the basis of this letter, Sinclair incorrectly identified Donald and Catherine as the grandparents of David Livingstone. Although they are not David's grandparents, it is very possible that they are related, but we cannot confirm the connections." According to Steve's site, Donald Livingstone & Catherine Livingstone had a daughter Catherine (b. 18 Dec 1794) who married a Hugh McPhail before 1817: So... quite a bit of evidence of McPhail/Livingstone cross-pollination and adventure. David Livingstone obviously was the product of an adventurous extended clan. My ancestor Angus Livingston, married to Margaret McPhail, was a "Chelsea Pensioner", meaning that he was most likely a war veteran of over 12 years' service to His Majesty. From what I can make out, it is possible that my ancestor Angus is the same fellow who migrated to Canada and still lies buried there (there is no Angus Livingston death record that matches our man in the Scottish records) . My Angus Livingston(e)'s son John is the man we believe was David Livingstone's "great boyhood friend and cousin".
Andrew Lancaster4

Thanks Keith Yes they certainly were an interesting lot. But while I am sure all these families must have been related it is not clear that they will also have the same paternal line - in other words that they will all be related only via fathers and sons. Of course you know I am thinking of the DNA project, which shows precisely these father-son lines, and no others. (It is possible to do mother-child DNA studies, but it is more difficult to trace such lines for both technical and documentary reasons.) I like Steve Wilson's site a lot by the way, and I wonder if he can ever help us find people who might help tie up some loose ends in the project. Best Regards Andrew

Steve certainly helped me once with some information on an 1827 marriage. With regard to the Y-chromosome: does anyone know if all male primates or mammals have this same (apparently corrupted) remnant of an X chromosome, or does maleness occur on other chromosomes? 
Andrew Lancaster4

A science question!

Yes, primates also have a Y chromosome. Geneticists often compare human DNA to chimp DNA in order to check whether something is specifically human or not. But not all animals use the same set-up for sex determination. I believe monotremes (and maybe birds?) have several sets of sex determining chromosomes for example. With regards to your term maleness, keep in mind that all genes which do big jobs tend to work in joint ways with other genes. So the actions which start to create a male embryo might start on the Y chromosome, but the genes there might actually work through genes on other chromosomes, that needed that trigger in order to do that job. Regards Andrew
Andrew Lancaster4

Why don't you ask Steve if he can put you in contact with anyone who turns up who might be related to this Blantyre family with McPhails in it? Maybe we can find someone to compare your DNA to. Of course if he ever finds a male Dr Livingstone descendent/relative the whole project would love to hear from him! Regards Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

Other sex chromosomes

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Indeed, as Andrew intimated, other animals DO have different sex chromosomes.

Good idea. I've been away in NZ for a while so didn't check the postings. It would be interesting to see if there are any McPhails with very similar Y haplotype, which I guess would indicate a common clan origin paternally.