Origin of the name Levack

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

Ho'ro na Levach, Levack, Levich!

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

This has of course crossed my mind Grant, but I just think it is not sure enough to assume yet do you? Surely an English scribe would write Levack? Anyway, if Alec turns out to have R1b with 385a=15, then I owe you and him and a few other people a beer. Regards Andrew
Grant South1

Ho'ro na Levach, Levack, Levich!

Post by Grant South1 »

Hi Andrew, Yes...., but in this case if once recorded as Levich, as mentioned- then it's the same as Levach/Levack which is establish within the clan traditions through knowledge of heritable connection, as quoted re, 'Innes of Learney', etc. p345, '4. Levack.-The Levacks are offshoots of the Livingstones.' Further the various branches of our ancient clan sencliathe will not record the same Y-DNA as the stem, accordingly this evidence of difference will not exclude clan descent, but rather confirm cultural and regional history. A Y-DNA match will confirm that the Levacks are offshoots of the stem. If no match is establish to the stem, then the Levacks are offshoots of the body of the clan. The sencliathe are of three origins. 1. Ancient occupiers of the soil.In our case being the Cruithne-Picts, which is of great interest indeed. 2. Ancient adherents of the incoming Chief, for us the various adherents of the Irish Cruithne, the Dal Araide and Dal Fiatach. Further the retinue of a lady wife to one of our Chiefs, the various neighbour clans. 3. The so called 'broken men', who sort inclusion within the clan. As the co-arbs, represent a sacral lineage, being heads of a religious community and were associated themselves with religious ceremony, it is very possible that adherents were drawn from the followers of the early Celtic church of the St Molaug sect, whom may well have been from various origins. This may again include those folk from the various clans who revered St Molaug as their tutelary saint. We already have examples of the sencliathe in the DNA project, who hold the clan name or variants thereof and record similar Y-DNA to our neighbouring clans. Slainte! Grant.
Margaret Anne

Post by Margaret Anne »

My grandmother was the granddaughter of William Manson and Janet Levack. She apparently was the sister of Helen Levack who married John Mowat. I was always told that Sir Oliver Mowat was my great grandmother's cousin. Farley Mowat ,the writer is also in the family tree.My ancestors came from Wick and Thurso in Scotland.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Margaret Anne, Don't know much about the Levacks, but Oliver Mowat a 19th century premier of Ontario you mentioned and Farley Mowat a great Canadian writer and champion of artic wildlife are indeed interesting people to be related to. In my family trees I only found one famous person and that was my 8th great-grandfather Rev.Roger Williams the founder of colonial Rhode Island in what is today the United States of America. My father's ancestral roots on his father's side of the family are based in 17th and 18th century Rhode Island, Connecticut and subsequently in pre Revolutionary New York State. The Livingstone connection happened later when my great-great grandfather married Nancy Livingston daughter of Miles Livingston at one time a Red River Settler of Lord Selkirk. All that I do know is that Frank Adams book "The Clans, Septs and REgiments of the Scottish Highlands" first published way back in 1905 briefly states that "Levacks are offshoots of the Livingstones". Unfortunately the author does not provide us with any further details regarding this statement. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Bruce Hislop

Post by Bruce Hislop »

Hi, My maternal grandfather, James Levack Sinclair, was born in Thurso, Caithness, in April or May, 1893. He received the name Levack in honour of his mother, Johan Levack. The Sinclair family lore has the Levack name coming from a group of ship wrecked French protestants who were rescued off the coast of Caithness in the 1600's. The story also has it that these French protestants were from Normandy, thus making for the possibility that the name was originally Levesque... Maybe they were ancestors of Rene Levesque... Sincerely, Bruce Hislop
Rene Anderson

Post by Rene Anderson »

The 1851 census for Wick, Caithness (landward) has at Hempriggs: Catherine Sutherland, head, widow, 72;
Gary Levack

Post by Gary Levack »

Hi. I've just started researching my name on the internet and would be interested to hear from anyone around the world with same surname as me. I live in Wick, Caithness, Scotland and there are are only about four or five of us up here. Would be delighted to hear from anyone. Cheers Gary
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Gary, Welcome to the forum. Regarding Alex Levack's comments in 2005 I think I first noticed the connection between Livingstons and Levacks mentioned in one of the old tartan books I stumbled upon. Unfortunately there wasnt an explanation. Since then some of our forum participants have come up with their own theories about a Levack connection to the Livingstons. I can see how one could extract Levi from Levack and some other linguistic theories and some interesting theories have been submitted. I would be interested in locating some of the earliest information on the Levacks and getting at the root of the notion that they have connection to Livingstons. To my knowledge Levacks were never connected to or were a so called sept of the the highland Stewart of Appins and this is being confused by the fact that in this tartan book pieces on Livingston which sometimes may have mention Levack, highland Livingstons were mentioned as having been a sept of the Stewarts of Appin. I could be wrong but I dont think Levacks ever dwelled in Appin or Western Argyll for that matter. They may however have dwelled in lowland areas where there were other Livingston families. Perhaps a historical connection between Livingston and Levack existed early on in some of the lowland counties That could be true. Anyway I agree that we need more information on the Levacks and it is pity that an early history on the Levacks was not written. Our Livingston clan also lacks a comprehensive early history though we are fortunate that there are bits and pieces of information out there and that scholars and kin of Livingstons in more contemparary times have put together some historical and genealogical information on our highland Clan and that of the lowland Livingston family. In closing I regret that I know next to nothing about your Levack family except for an assertion by the author of a tartan book that there was a connection between Levacks and Livingstons. NOt much to go on though. I know however that some of people have taken an interest in pursuing the Levack connection and some of them I think have presented some interesting comments in some of the previous postings here. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I think Andrew would be very happy to have you in the DNA project, if you're interested, Gary!
Gary Levack

Post by Gary Levack »

As mentioned, I have only just thought about researching family history so realy don't have much info. All I do know is that my father (Cathel) and his brothers Hamish, Robin & George were all born and raised on Mybster Farm, Spittal, Caithness. From what I also know is that my gt grandfather, George, and gt.gt grandfather Robbie also lived on the same farm. As I learn more, I can keep this forum updated if it is any interest to anyone. Best regards Gary