The Conflict of Bealach-na-Broige

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

The following is from a rare little book issued from the Foulis press in 1764, entitled: "The History of the Feuds and Conflicts Among the Clans in the Northern Parts of Scotland and in the Western Isles: from the year M.XX1 unto M.B.C.XIX, now first published from a manuscript written during the reign of King James VI."  It mentions Clan Leawe (that's us!) and our neighbors in the Strathconon region of Ross-shire. "The Conflict of Bealach-na-Broige" About the year of God 1299, there was an insurrection made against the Earl of Ross by some of the people of that province, inhabiting the mountains, called Clan Iver, Clan-tall-wigh, and Clan Leawe. The Earl of Ross made such diligence that he apprehended their captain, and imprisoned him at Dingwall, which so incensed the Highlanders, that they pursued the Earl of Ross's second son at Balnagown, took him and carried him along prisoner with them, thinking thereby to get their captain relieved. The Munros and the Dingwalls, with some other of the Earl of Ross's dependers, gathered their forces, and pursued the Highlanders with all diligence; so, overtaking them at Bealach-na-Broig, betwixt Ferrindonnell and Lochbrime, there ensued a cruel fight, well fought on either side. The Clan Iver, Clan-tall-wigh, and Clan-Leawe, were almost all utterly extinguished; the Munros had a sorrowful victory, with great loss of their men, and carried back again the Earl of Ross's son. The Laird of Kildun was there slain, with seven score of the surname Dingwall. Divers of the Munros were slain in this conflict; and, among the rest, there were killed eleven of the house of Fowlis, that were to succeed one another, so that the succession of the Fowlis fell unto a child then lying in his cradle, for which service the Earl of Ross gave divers lands to the Munros and the Dingwalls.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Thanks Rob Along with Alec's Levacks and Levachs this clan in Ross-shire are a family I have wondered about. But is it possible that the names merely sound the same, and that there is no connection to the clan MacLea of Lismore? By the way, I have tried to do my best to put an entry into www.wikipedia.org . Search "Clan MacLea". I would very much appreciate corrections. Regards Andrew
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

I think we can rest pretty comfortably believing that the "(Mac)Leawes" is at least the same name as "MacDonnsleibhe", if not the same clan.