McLea and McCain connection: Ideas?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Forum, As many of you know, my family of MacLea/McLea has not shown good matches with the Lismore branch or any other McLea/Livingstones that we have tested.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Barra also goes on to say that he has confirmed part of this story: the man Dunnchadh M
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

Hi Kyle, I've been gathering substantial DNA evidence that ties together three different MacLea bloodlines (possibly four) which all "cross-over" with surnames associated with the Anradan Kindred (the descendants of Andradan, which historically are supposed to include the MacLachlans, the Sweeneys, the MacEwens of Otter, and the Lamonts.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

"This group of McCains is known as the Route McKanes and though some bits are known of their origins, their ancient origins are unknown." So what bits of these unknown origins are known, as you put it? Was this a Scots Irish family? Regards Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

The Route McKanes

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Andrew, I don't know too much about the group myself, so I thought I'd let Barra's words, from the Route McKane website, speak for me: The McKanes are a smallish Irish clan and are a bit of an enigma.
Andrew Lancaster4

The Route McKanes

"To date the DNA data confirms them to be Irish Gaels, typical old Dal Riata stock." Thanks Kyle, but what is it about their DNA that makes them Irish? Regards Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA of The Route McKanes

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... sults1.htm I don't really want to be the messenger in all of this, because I don't understand the details, but the results in that table at least say that many of the McCains trace their origins on paper to Ireland, County Antrim.
Andrew Lancaster4

DNA of The Route McKanes

I am a bit concerned that there might be circular reasoning here. McKane is a name with a lot of possible origins and the McKanes of Route might (by the look of it) be Scottish. That you and a MacDonald are the only Scots on webpage you show is not a surprise because it is a McKane webpage with a few extra matches showing. But we know there are other similar DNA signatures out there right? In general I think we have to be very careful about proposing DNA types which distinguish northern Irish and western Scottish people. They seem to have been intermixed for thousands of years. Best Regards Andrew