Clan Motto - Cnoc Aingeil

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Rob Livingston2

Clan Motto - Cnoc Aingeil

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

I don't see a discussion of the clan's motto anywhere on the web site, so I thought I would share a little about the research I have done on it.  If I am wrong about any of this, please correct me. Cnoc Aingeal is a massive man-made cairn or hill located just to the north of the MacLea chief's home at Bachuil on the Isle of Lismore.  The pronunciation is "crock ahn-gee-al" and the correct spelling according to MacBain's Dictionary and Carmichael's 'Lismore in Alba' is "aingeal", not "aingeil" as shown on the clan badge.  Since "aingeal" follows "cnoc", it is a plural noun in the genitive case.  As such, it can be translated in several ways - 'hill of fires', 'hill of lights' or 'hill of angles'.  Carmichael suggests that the latter is unlikely because angels are associated with Christianity and the cairn appears to be of much greater antiquity than the arrival of Christians.  So he suggests that the hill was built as a site for a beacon or as a site for cremations and burials.  Lismore has a tradition of being the burial site of kings.  Archeological excavations have never occurred on the site. As I researched the etymology of the word "aingeal', I came across a peculiar coincidence.  The Manx word for 'fire' and 'light' is "ainle".  Manx is a Gaelic dialect spoken on the Isle of Mann and closely resembles the Gaelic that was spoken long ago in Argyll and Ulster (Northern Ireland).  It just so happens that "Ainle" was the name of one of the three sons of Uisneach - legendary noblemen who fled from Ireland to Scotland with a princess named Deirdre.  They built their first home on the north shore of Loch Etive, which happens to be where many MacLeas once lived.  Could "Cnoc Aingeal" have been the 'hill of Ainle'?  One more thing to play with! Rob
Kyle2 MacLea

Re :Clan Motto - Cnoc Aingeil

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Very interesting discussion.  I was trying to figure out exactly the origin of this 'motto' As a side question -- other than the fact that the hill is located nearby -- is there significance to it?  Is it know that something important ever happened there? Kyle=
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

Actually Kyle, I am beginning to uncover some very interesting information.  "Lismore" has always been interpreted to mean 'great fort' or 'great garden', when in fact it is just as likely to mean 'great torch' or 'great light'.  "lés mor" or "léss mor" (both pronounced the same as "Lios Mor") are Old Irish words with an Indo European origin meaning 'torch'.  In addition, the place name "Tir Fuir" on the Isle of Lismore(whose meaning has always been obscure), might very likely come from the Proto Indo-European "*paewr" (= fire); hence, 'land of fire'. (the 'p' in 'paewr' would mutate in the genitive to 'ph' or 'f').  This suggests that the people who inhabited the island must have been involved in the ceremonial use of fire before the arrival of Christianity.  Is it coincidence that the Indo-European word for fire (ongli) is a cognate (sound-alike) of Mac Onlea and Dun Onlea (Dunollie)?  Something to ponder!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Very interesting, Rob!  As usual!
Bachuil

Cnoc Aingeil

Post by Bachuil »

Kyle, Rob I think knows this already, but there is a reference in Lismore and Alba on pages 32,33 which gives two interpretations to an old inscription on the Shevack Stone.  One is “Draw near to the soul of Moluag, from the parent LIS, that is the Island of Lorn”. I cannot remember the reference, but I recall that although Lios Mor is often described as large garden or enclosure, the actual origin goes back to Moluag.  The monasteries in those days were enclosed with a wooden defensive fence.   In Lismore and Alba on page 41 a conversation between St Moluag and St Columba is described.  On being shown around the establishment, Columba turned to Moluag and said in rather a dismissive tone “Is this what you call a Lios Mor?”.  Moluag replied “Yes, it is a Lios thorrach”.  Torrach means pregnant – and is applied to humans only.  Moluag was implying that although not necessarily much to look at, it was going to produce a great future. In pagan times Lismore was the sacred island of the Western Picts and the funeral place of their kings whose capital was across the loch at Benderloch.  It is believed that Cnoc Aingeil was the man made mound upon which the funeral pyres were lit.  There is evidence to show that the kings were later buried at Cladh nan Righ near Achnacroish Pier. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Hector MacKenzie Black

Cnoc Aingeil

Post by Hector MacKenzie Black »

Could someone please telephone me on 01721 723938 which is my home number anytime up to 1am i have some very interesting findings and thoughts that may be of help to you.
Kyle2 MacLea

Spam???

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Hector, I suggest you tell people about this fantastic findings and thoughts before you expect them to call you.