Where Are Your McLea/Livingstones From?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Hi folks, The forum has been a little quite the past few days. I thought it a good opportunity to now ask the question above. To give us all a better picture of the migration of our Clan families both within Scotland and outwith across the globe, I thought we could talk about our last known ancestor and where they lived and also if you know of any other Clan families in that area? Looking forward to hearing from as many on the forum as possible to answer old questions and create new ones to be researched! 1. Name? 2. Last Known Ancestor -LKA.? 3. Migration to present location of the family line.? 4. Others of the Name. For example; 1. McClee 2.Catherine Clee born ca. 1815. Raphoe, Donegal Ireland. 3.Her daughter Margaret Clee Ferrie, born ca. 1845 Raphoe, Donegal, married Neilston, Renfrew. Later lived in Glasgow. Her grandson John Patrick Devine [O'Devenny, co. Down Clan] moved to Australia, ca. 1925. 4. Clee and Clea are used by a small group of families in Raphoe, Donegal, near Lough Swilly, these families were catholic. There are other MacClay families in the area. I suspect that many of the McClay's came as part of the Ulster Plantations. This suggests that the Clee's settled at an earlier time in Donegal. What is recorded is that a catholic McLea of Lindsaig heir settled in Donegal after fighting under the banner of Campbell of Argyll for the King of Spain. McClee is recorded in the Lamont Papers regarding the sasine of Tollard Begg, this is near the old feudal lands of Lindsaig, Argyll. All the best!
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Dear Grant I have a problem because I do not even know what surname to give! My quest is described here: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Livingstone.htm Regards Andrew
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Hello Andrew, Wonderful to read such a well documented family history. I can see your apprehension regarding variants though. Which location are your DNA McClays from? All the best mate! From the banks of the Tweed......
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

The two McClay families (both now upgrading to 37 markers) come from Donegal, though by different routes and they did not know they were related. Regards Andrew
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Ah... more links to Donegal McClays!
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

I think the ancestor we're looking for in each case isn't the LKA (last known ancestor) which could be Mum or Dad... but the FKA (first known ancestor) that we can support by documentation. Is that what we're after? Cheers all.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi folks, As I've said before, this is my line: 1.
Grant South1

Last Known Ancestor

Post by Grant South1 »

Hi Keith, Yes I think the idea in genealogical terms is based on the premise that the first known ancestors are Mum & Dad, then our grandparents, etc., to our last known ancestor being the last one we have come to know of. But actually either way will work, from whom do we descend? All the best! Grant. Ps; How's Tassie?
Heather Livingston Willis1

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

I am new at genealogy, so any help is appreciated.
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Heather: A number of Livingstons migrated to PEI on the brig Rambler from Tobermory, Mull, Scotland in 1806. This was part of a large migration of two inter-married families, the McPhails and Livingston/es. This is well documented at various sites on the internet and in an earlier posting I placed on this forum. Later on, it appears that some of this group arrived on Nova Scotia and settled there. My last known ancestor, Angus Livingstone, possibly born 1773 and possibly a British naval sailor in the Napoleonic war (listed as a deceased Chelsea Pensioner in his son John's death certificate)may be the same Angus Livingston buried in Big Bras D'Or, Nova Scotia. No records of his death in Scotland. He married a Margaret McPhail. May be of interest.