Documented examples of MacLea/Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear everybody: Are there any documented examples of someone going by BOTH MacLea and Livingstone in different settings/situations/etc? Because of the connection, I'm curious whether it was a continuous process over a long period (e.g., every MacLea/Livingstone over 200 years considered themselves the same family), or did it happen in just a few isolated points, where names were changed. I ask this question, because I'd really like to be able to connect IN FACT the families.  If these examples are already out there, I'd appreciate some direction to where it might be.  I admit that I haven't read through all the history so much -- because there's a lot that Rob and others have put together, and there are so many details as to be somewhat confusing! Well, that's all for now.  Comments welcome. And email too:  ksm6 at cornell dot edu K=
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

It has to be assumed that anyone living on the Isle of Lismore with the name of MacLay or MacOnlea was related and considered to have the same surname.  In 1669, there is mention of a 'Kenneth M'Ley'; In 1692 there were three "fencibles" (men eligible for the military) by the name of 'McOanlay'; In 1694, mention is made of 'M'enlea' families; in 1699, mention is made of 'M'onlea' families; "Baron McLay" is mentioned in 1755, but he is refered to as "Baron Livingstone" in church records in 1775.  In 1806, he is refered to as "Baron MacOnlea".  His son, Alexander is baptized as "Livingstone" in 1775, but noted as Alexander McLay in the military muster rolls of 1798.  By the time of the 1841 census in Lismore, all such families are using the surname "Livingstone".
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Kyle, Once again Rob has it right.  I can add a few more references. In Burkes Peerage this section describes our (Rob & I) common ancestor: JOHN MACONLEA, Baron of the Bachuil, b. 1746 at Bachuil on the Isle of Lismore, Argyll, the heir of Duncan MacOnlea, Baron of the Bachuil and Mary MacOnlea; he was the first of his family known to anglicise the surname as Livingstone; m. Sarah McLachlan; having had issue, 1. Coll, his heir. 2. Alexander, b. 11 June 1775 at Bachuil; m. Dorothy McGlashen b. 10 Jun 1780 in Killian, Lismore. 3. Duncan, b. 14 June 1777 at Bachuil 4. Adam, b. 19 Nov. 1778 at Bachuil. 5. Mary, b. 14 May 1781 at Bachuil; m. John Stewart, b. 5 March 1776 at Bachuil. 6. Elizabeth, b. 20 Oct. 1783 at Bachuil; m. John McCorquodale. 7. Ann, b. 18 Aug. 1787. 8. Duncan, b. 26 Oct. 1788 at Bachuil; m. Dorothy Livingstone, b. 10 Feb. 1806 at Achuaran, Lismore. John MacOnlea d. 1835 The Taymouth register refers in 1557 to a John M'Dunslaif of Achnacre  (see also O.P.S., vol. ii. P.155).  Records of Argyll p115 refer to the Livingstones of Achnacree.  Donald Livingstone, who saved the Appin Banner at Culloden, was a Livingstone of the Achnacree Livingstones. The article in The Celtic Review Volume VI July 1909 pp340-348 on Donald Livingstone (see http://www.clanlivingstone.com/Donald%20Livingstone.htm) “Donald Livingstone, Bun-a-mhuilinn, Morvern, was of the Livingstones of Achnacree, Benderloch. These Livingstones of Achnacree had been the keepers of the Royal Forest of Dail-an-eas (Dalness) till this was wrested from them by the Macdonalds of Glencoe. The Livingstones of Achnacree were of the same line as the Livingstones of Bachuill, Lismore, keepers of the Staff of Saint Moluag” “In the churchyard is a curious cross, now laid as a gravestone, with a figure of the crucifixion surmounted by I.H.S., and bearing the name of Archibald M’Phail, but said to mark the grave of Livingstones, in Gaelic M’Ianlea.” Origines Parochiales Kilbride pp108, 119 I had to produce all this as part of the proof required for the Lord Lyon, King of Arms. Regard, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks for both the responses!  Since my research is now pushing back into the early 1800s, I wanted to know when/where I might expect to see such relationships, if they were ever present in my branch of the family! So, thanks again for the response! Kyle=
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

In a little old churchyard, well-tended, but with a decrepit church building, just out of Appin, there is a memorial stone to Argyll men who fought and died in Culloden 1746. It was moved there from Culloden at a later date.I have filmed it. From memory it says, "Livingstones or MacLeays..4" (died). It's dated about 1746, and from this it appears the names were interchangeable at that point.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Kay, Great findings and research!
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Hello Kay, Good to hear from you! Great information. Records suggest I am related to the Alexander you mention. My family descend from a maternal line of the Mc'Clee family of Raphoe Barony, Donegal. Historical evidence supports the Mc'Clee family as descending from one of the three son's of the old MacLea Barons of Linsaig. The Baron had a brother whose eldest son was given a charter to Linsaig by the Master of Argyll. The son's of the old Baron could not return to Scotland to inherit their patrimony after following in the service of the Earl of Argyll- for Philip of Spain. The Earl himself died in exile in London. His son as 'Master' being Lord of Lorne, reigned as heir to his father's vast estates. Alexander McLea according to the information cited from Archie Brown, was lineal heir to the branch of the Linsaig family who were able to retain the lands. Clee and Clea were both recorded by the family in Donegal records. The sheer lack of records in Donegal suggests that the Mc'Clee family were small in number and I would not be surprised if they are almost exhausted. This may only leave those with maternal lines of descent. My records go back in Donegal ca. 1760's. These folk being contemporary to your Alexander McLea in Scotland. In 1869 Hugh Clee is recorded in Raphoe Barony. The Irish records are a nighmare, but as he is the only fellow in the whole of Ireland with the surname Clee in the 'Valuations' it is with some degree of confidence that we hold him to be the father of our Catherine Clee. Hugh Clee is recorded with two holdings in the townlands of; 1. Maghera Beg 2. Mannorcunningham He also shared in commonage another holding with his neighbours in Maghera Beg, themselves being, Matthew Wilson, John Magill and John Colquhoun.
Mary McNeill Zeigler

Post by Mary McNeill Zeigler »

We have a whole family tree from Charles Livingston who arrived in North Carolina after his first wife died.