Scottish Regiments

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jason Livingstone

Scottish Regiments

Post by Jason Livingstone »

Can anyone give me direction as to which regiments the Highland (Lismore) Livingstones would have been more likely to have enlisted into? What if any were the military affiliations and also which regiments would they NOT have enlisted due to clan emnity? Any direction advice or knowledge would be useful as I am floundering a little (a lot actually). Some of my older family remember tales of GF's at the turn of the century prior to WWI around the Boer and Gallipolli campaigns having died in battles but not knowing their first names and regiment makes it difficult to establish reality of names, then confirm with parish records etc. I thought I might be able to get names from the regiment records, and looking at the best guess regiments would make that task easier!! Needle in haystack? Also I am trying to trace one paternal link who served as a lighthouse keeper firstly in Scotland then off Ireland and lastly off St Davids in S Wales. His brother Capt. Livingstone was suppossed to have gone down with his ship at Gallipolli. Anyone heard this in their family tracings? But already a lot of family "lore" seems to have no substance. And yes so the story goes we are related to the dear Dr.! My Dad certainly looks like him so I'd love to beleive it! Anyway anyone who can give advice or guidance I'd sure be obliged. The best to all of you.
Jill Richmond

Scottish Regiments

Post by Jill Richmond »

Dear Jason, Just as a starting point for you, my greeat uncle, Robert Livingston, served in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders during WW1 in France. I don't know whether the regiment served in Gallipoli or not. The regiment will probably have a website and you could find out there. As to lighthouses: Scottish lighthouses are run by the Northern Lighthouse Board (www.nlb.org). Welsh lighthouses come under Trinity House organisation, but I'm not sure about Irish Lighthouses - try Google. I don't know whether these organisations would have records of their former employees, but they might well do. Hope this helps slightly. Best wishes, Jill
Jill Richmond
Jason Livingstone

Scottish Regiments

Post by Jason Livingstone »

Thanks Jill, your advice does help and is much appreciated. Researching is such an imprecise task initially it seems, but once you start to get threads going I hope it all becomes more black and white. At the moment it is very grey! All the best, Jason.
James Buchanan

Scottish Regiments

Post by James Buchanan »

Try ( I think or Google 'National Archives-Kew') www.pro.gov.uk .It's the National Archives at Kew.They have a lot of Military Records online and you can pay for an enquiry into those that are not online if you think it's possible that they have any info you require. Scottish Regiments ( certainly around ww1 time) were consistent with where the person lived.I.E. Gordon Highlanders- Aberdeenshire, Black watch- Perthshire/Fife etc. There is a very good site on the net about Scottish Regiments. Try Googling 'Scots Militia' or something and you should find it. Happy New Year!
Keith Livingstone Australia

Scottish Regiments

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

My grandfather lost a leg on the Western Front as a 20-year old platoon commander for the 1st Division/6th Batallion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, who were recruited in Paisley, near Blantyre and Glasgow.He lost his limb at Festubert on 19th June 1915. A man with a great deal of knowledge about this is Rod MacKenzie at the Stirling Castle Museum for the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Contact: RHQ, A & SH museum@argylls.wanadoo.co.uk
Andrew Lancaster4

Scottish Regiments

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Jason The DNA project has several families that claim to be related to Dr Livingstone. I'm fairly confident that we'll eventually be able to state with some certainty which paternal line he really had. To do so we need participants from Livingstone families who might be related. See: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm Regards Andrew Belgium