DNA testing suggestion

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA testing suggestion

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear McLea/Livingstone friends and family, I'd like to just drop a quick note and a little suggestion.  I did the ftDNA testing and got some very interesting results.  Long story short, my matches within MacLea/Livingstone are actually not as strong as my match with a number of Irish of McCain extraction.  In the course of this it has lead to some interesting discussions about origins, about Irish McLeas and the somewhat free movement back and forth between Ireland and Scotland and the changing of names over time.  I'm not sure where any of this is leading, but if any of you have gotten tested, I would encourage you to match outside the surname project as well.  You might find some very strong matches outside, indeed stronger than inside, and perhaps this might lead to some interesting genealogical and/or historical discoveries that might be very enlightening to us all.  It would also be very useful to me to find any matches within the surname that also match with the McCains or others.  But I digress! I hope this note finds all you friends and family well-- Email me if you have any questions -- ksm6 at cornell dot edu Kyle=
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA testing suggestion

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Billy, Though I suspect you wouldn't be testable in the project, because your direct male ancestor surname is not Livingston/McLea (or so I gather from your message), you should check out the project webpage: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rlivingston1488/dna.htm . Also, the DNA testing may be very helpful for verifying the Macneill connection you spoke of, if you look for any matches in the database.  Don't know if you've done it, but it's very interesting what it pulls out! Kyle=