John Livingstone-Mull-immigrant

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

My GGG Grandfather John Livingstone arrived on Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia at the age of 20 on the Brig Humphreys on July 14,1806 from Tobermory, Isle of Mull. If anyone would know which Livingstone family he might belong to, I would appreciate your help.  Regards Jewel Brown
James Allen

Post by James Allen »

I have been interested in what became of this John Livingston(e) for several years. Can you please indicate to whom he was married, the date and place? Did he remain on P.E.I. or locate elsewhere in Canada? His age and the fact that he was a lone Livingston traveler on the Humphreys seems to coincide with the presence of my 4thG-grandfather in Quebec City c.1807, but I have never been able to determine his origin. Thanks, Jim
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hi Jim, this John Livingstone did not stay on PEI, he went to Sydney N.S. the same year. He married a Christy McPhee that sme year also. His first child was born 1807 in Sydney N.S. also John L. who married a anne McGillivray. I have no confirmed information on any of sisters or brothers. It's my brick wall. sorry I could not be of more help to you. Jewel Brown
James Allen

Post by James Allen »

Jewel, Thanks for your response. I am happy to finally learn of the destination of the John Livingston of the "Humphrey". I have made many inquiries over the years trying to get information about him, i.e. parties on Mull, the mainland, and Canada, without success. Obviously your John Livingston is not my 4thG-grandfather, who married Marie Cecile Dupere in 1807 at the Anglican church in Quebec City. I will keep searching to find his origin. Incidentally, my inquiry to Mull confirmed your John Livingston's departure, but the only possible fit they could find was a John Livingston born 20 Jan 1782 registered in Eolasary (Mull) to Duffus Levingston and Mary Campbell. You will also find that family listed on R. Livingston's website  .  There are no Livingstons left in the area. They all departed a long time ago, including the family of Dr. David Livingstone, so your John Livingston may have been related in some way to him. Unfortunately, the genealogy of the good doctor has never been fully documented. More than twenty years ago, I corresponded with his grandson and other members of the family, both in the U.S., Canada and Scotland, and even they do not know the genealogy beyond Dr. Livingston's immediate ancestors. Good luck with your search. Jim