Who is really related to Dr Livingstone?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Christine

Post by Christine »

1. DNA...I will have to be very diplomatic with this issue, as it would be pretty hard convience the "OLD SET" that it is ok. I will research into this more and maybe...just maybe it can be an avenue to explore. 2. The Wilson site ..very interesting and I noted that James was missing...Maybe James is the son missing of his list???? I will like to explore this further. But have some doubts as whether we are that missing link. The death certificate I have for Margaret says her father was James from Dundee and looking at the list where the others were born it looks as though we could be a Livingstone from elsewhere. (But the death cerificate could be wrong, it didn't even have Margaret's mother name on the certificate!) 3. Yes I have looked at the censes for 1871, but reading through my material Margaret came to NZ in April 1871. Went back to Scotland 2 years later and then back to NZ in 1879. 4. I was given a newspaper clipping..no idea where it was from but it was about James. It reads" Mr Livingstone of Jane cottage,Lochwinnoch, and his wife celebrated their golden wedding last week in the house of their daughter in Abercorn-street, Glasgow, when a number of friends assembled to congradulate the venerable pair. Mrs Livingstone received her education in the manor of uncle, Rev. Thomas Mitchell, for 36 years parish minister of Gidhamstock. The duke of Edinburgh, when in Sydney, dined at Mars castle, the residence of another uncle, Sir James Mitchell." Ok..there is a bit of noting there! but it looks at though James did not come to live in New Zealand with his daughter Margaret. I am in the process now at looking at the census records for 1861. Hopefully I come up with something.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

1. Concerning the tests, they are not medically or legally relevent and would not even be particularly useful for identifying a person (should you have committed a major crime recently!). The very limited "stutters" which are sought for are especially designed to look for paternal lines. The tests are done privately by yourself, and you control them. Hope that helps! 2-4. Interesting. Steve Wilson's site, if I understand correctly, tries to be careful and conservative. Rob Livingston once had a page which pushed the limits a bit harder, but I am not sure if Niall or Rob now keep that page on line anywhere? Regards Andrew
Christine

Post by Christine »

I haven't gone away, and have been enjoying the interesting topics which make researching family history interesting. My investigations so far re link to David Livingston are not looking good. So far James Livingston, born in Kikonquar, Fife, Scotland in 1810 has only had daughters, who also had daughters and so the paternal line has gone. I think that would be of no real benefit for the DNA project. The James Livingston (1810) I am tracing has parents "James Livingston and Eleanor (Helen??) Cowan (a daughter of a Minster, Church of Scotland)" Not sure where they fit in with the Livingston family tree, but I do know one day they were Livingston and later became Livingstone. The David Livingstone story in our family may well be a red herring! One more thing, what does the name Kilkonquar translate to?
Gerry Radimaker

Post by Gerry Radimaker »

Greetings! I came across this website while googling my father's name [William Sherwood Radimaker]. So it would seem that we are cousins as our grandmothers were sisters. I certainly remember Aunt Agnes and your parents.