Who is really related to Dr Livingstone?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I'd like to repeat my claim that the DNA project is going to help evnetually clear up the question of who is really related to Dr Livingstone. 1. Any Livingston(e) family that suspects a connection should join. 2. All of us should keep an eye out for any Livingston(e) family with a good strong paper trail. We have enough sponsorship money that the project could pay for their test if necessary! Regards Andrew
Suzanne K Livingstone

Post by Suzanne K Livingstone »

I'm still waiting to hear from my brother and whether or not he'll participate from our family, unless my uncle might It does get a little confusing at least for me. I have family telling me yes we are related to Dr Livingstone but we're from the Lowlands. Not possible apparently.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Suzanne, You may be from the lowlands - but originally come from the highlands.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

It is certainly possible or even likely that families who came to the new world from the lowlands had deeper roots in the highlands. There was a massive movement of many families in exactly that direction: Highland->Lowland Ports->The New World Ireland was also often a step for many such Scottish families, both lowland and highland - a place they called home for several generations. Often these families also moved back to Scotland and England. It is sometimes quite complex. For example, in trying to work out how the Livingstones of Angus-shire connect with each other I traced many 19th century lines forward into the 20th century. I found many ended up in England, to be replaced to a large extent by Livingstones from Ireland who presumably also had Scottish roots. Coming back to the highlands, I'd say that especially there you don't know the real homeland of a family until you trace it back to the early 18th century at least. But many families kept a true memory of where they were from through many generations. ...so the family stories are normally worth following up when possible. Regards Andrew Best Regards Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Niall, My last message from yesterday did not get through. Please check the system. Donald
Charles Ross

Post by Charles Ross »

Andrew is quite right about this - my family genealogy starts about 1650 in Skirling but the tradition handed down is that the family originated in the Black Isle -I am also involved in the Ross DNA project. As many people as possible should get the DNA test done. Kind regards, Charles
Louisa Livingstone

Post by Louisa Livingstone »

Hello, I´ve just found this website by accident! I was doing a search to see what came up about me. My birth name was Margaret Mackenzie-Livingstone. My father (now deceased) used to tell me about the Livingstones and the McLea clan if I remember rightly, when I was a child, but unfortunately I´ve forgotten much of it. He did write some notes and made a family tree of sorts but I have no idea where this is now, although I have it somewhere. He used to say it was possible that we were related to David Livingstone the explorer. I will have to find his notes. Anyway it is very nice to see this web site and hello to you all. Perhaps we can put some pieces of the jigsaw together, all of us. I now call myself Louisa though, I never liked the name I was christened with!
Andrew Lancaster4

Dear Louisa I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to read of any snippets you can dig up. Who knows what conclusions we can come to if we put different snippets together! Two questions: Do you have any brothers, male cousins, uncles etc who could play a role in the DNA project? Which country are you in? I am in Belgium, and we have Canadians, Scots, English, Americans, Kiwis, South Africans.... Regards Andrew
Christine

Post by Christine »

Interesting that this question is being asked. I have been told now by 3 generations that the family story is we are related as a cousin to David. But do you think I can find that link! If the family story is correct the line we came from is James Livingstone, which would be the brother of Neil Livingstone who is David's father.
Andrew Lancaster4

Hi Christine 1. Please consider having your family join the DNA project. See http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm 2. Have you compared to on-line trees such Steve Wilson's? See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... gstone.htm 3. Was Margaret in Scotland in 1871? Maybe you can track her on the 1871 census which is now searchable on the Scotland's people website. Regards Andrew