Patrick (Peter) Livingstone and Mary Campbell

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Michael, I dont have any information on your ancestor Angus but I could check the 1841 Scottish Census if that would be any help. I see that as you indicated your ancestor Angus born abt. 1804 is located at Brantford, Brant County and recorded as such in the 1881 Ontario, Canada Census along with second wife Annie a Baptist and their children including their youngest Angus born abt. 1866, your ancestor.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; regarding your assessment of the reason Dr. Livingstone put the e back on the end of his name. I remember being told by my family; that when Dr. Livingstone proceeded to the London Missionary School, his father, Neil, advised him to put the e back on his name.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta, According to Rev R J Campbell author of the 1929 Book "Livingstone" the earliest document with the Livingstone spelling was 1855. This is what he was told by the Missionary Society who apparently researched it. I suspect Campbell checked out documents prior to 1855 to confirm this. This book is considered to be one of the best on Livingston written in the 20th century, following Blaikie's biography in the 1880's. I would be curious as to what other Livingston scholars have to say about this. I recently picked up a used copy of the R J Campbell book, but have had access in the past to a Library copy. Came in handy when researching Dr. Livingstone's brother a year or so ago. But as for the why I think understand that it was because of his admiration of the highland Bachuil family whose name went by that spelling, but you are right that there could have been another reason such as what you have mentioned. Dr. Livingstone unfortunately was apparently reluctant to publish a comprehensive family history and only briefly discusses the family history in his book. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael, Sorry to say I could not find your Angus Livingston born abt. 1804 in the Scottish Census of 1841 in the highland or lowland counties. Neither could I find him in Argyll County or in Inveraray and Glenaray Parish. As county's go in Argyll, Inveraray and Glenaray in Eastern Argyll has few Livingstons or Livingstone in the year 1841. I suspect there never was large population of Livingstons compared to Morven, Mull, Lismore and Appin in Western Argyll, but in 1841 I could only find these folks at the following places Peter Livingstone b.1771
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Donald, Regarding the 'e': my family have always spelt our name without an 'e', and we are highland Livingstons, and not lowlanders. In terms of where Livingstons come from, the 'e' is not terribly important. I have read in various books that David Livingstone was born David Livingston without the 'e', and and that it was his father who added the 'e'. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond