Patrick (Peter) Livingstone and Mary Campbell

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Michael Livingston

Post by Michael Livingston »

I live in Syracuse NY and was born in Buffalo NY in 1960. My father is David Norman Livingston who was born in Buffalo in 1938. His father was Norman Livingston who was born in Brantford Ontario in 1899. His father was Angus Roy Livingston who was born in Brantford in 1866. His father was Angus Livingston who was born in Inveraray/Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland on March 24, 1804. His father was Patrick (Peter) Livingston according to one record and Patrick (Peter) Livingstone in another. He was born in Inveraray and Glenarary, Argyll Scotland in 1778. His wife was Mary Campbell who was also from Inveraray. She was born in 1782 and she wed Peter on May 31, 1803. In addition to Angus, they had 6 other children: Mary, Donald, Catherine, Margaret, Anne and Sarah.  Angus married his first wife, Helen Montgomerey in Inveraray and they hda a daughter, Mary, in 1842.  He subsequently immigrated to Canada and eventually appears in the 1881 Canadian census married to Annie (b. 1825 in Ireland) with four kids (none of them named Mary). All told, Patrick Livingstone and his wife Mary Campbell had 7 children and at least 15 grandchildren that I have identified so far.  Angus, Angus Roy, his wife Annie and their 4 other children and a number of other Livingston's are buried in the old part of Farringdon Church in Brantford Ontario.  The Wesley brothers who founded the Methodist faith had a good friend named Ingham who was also an evangelist preaching basically the same principles.  His followers became known as "Inghamites" or, alternatively, "Moravian Methodists".  Their primary church was at Farringdon, Scotland.  The only Inghamite church outside of Scotland is Farringdon Church in Brantford, Ontario, Canada.  Possibly, these Livingston(e)'s were Inghamites since they were clearly connected to Farringdon Church in Brantford. I haven't yet been able to trace my lineage back any further so I can't be sure if I am a lowland Livingston or a highland Livingstone. My admittedly limited understanding is that Inveraray is highland territory as well as being the home of Clan Campbell. However, the lack of an "e" at the end of Livingston supposedly indicates connection to the lowlands. I have the names of the spouses of the children of Patrick and Mary and the names of their children.  The girls married men named Munroe (two in fact), McIntyre and Sinclair. Any information on any connections to these folks or related information would be appreciated.  I have a lot more info on what happened to Angus after he made it to Canada.  He fathered his last child at the age of 62 and was alive and kicking at the time of the 1881 census when he was 77 years old.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Mike, Rob Livingston is running a DNA Project at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rlivingston1488/dna.htm.  This would show you how closely you are related to the Barons of Bachuil - the chiefly line. The e at the end of Livingston has no significance, but the fact you are from Argyll is a strong indicator that you are a Highland Livingstone. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Michael Livingston

Post by Michael Livingston »

Correction:  I am not sure of the location of Inghamite churches in Scotland or England.  There is a Farringdon near Exeter.
Marcia Allass

Post by Marcia Allass »

There are Inghamite churches in Lancashire - one still exists in Fence (http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.u ... PEN.Ing.01 ) There used to be one in Winewall as well, and may stil be one in Salterforth.  I know this because I have been researching local churces for a website listing!
John Merrett

Post by John Merrett »

Sir,
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi My great gandfather was Angus Livingstone. My grandfather's name was John Duncan Livingstone. I live in Prince Edward Island and I would like to know how and if I am related. My grandfather John died I think in 1964, and my mother who was born in the 1930's does not remember her Grandfather. Is this the Angus Livingstone you are seeking I wonder? John Livingstone raised his family in Upton, Prince Edward Island. If not the connection you are seeking does anyone else have any information. My uncles and aunts don't know much about their ancestors. Barry
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Barry! Welcome!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, I wonder if your great-grandfather Angus Livingston from PEI lived at Lot 8 and was the Angus Livingston born abt. 1869/1872 who married Julia Mcrae Stewart 1876-1904. His father was James Livingston born abt. 1816 and his wife Mary born abt. 1831. Angus is probably listed in the 1901 and 1911 PEI Census which the government in Ottawa has recently released to the public. I would assume both your Angus and his son Duncan, your mother's father will be in there somewhere. As long as you and your mom know the town where her father Duncan was living in 1901 in PEI it would not be that difficult to find Angus and Duncan in the 1901 or 1911 census for that town providing one has access to these census records. That would be the first place to start. The 1901 census for Canadian Provinces usually gives the full birthdate for each person censused which is a nice feature as well. So if you can find out Duncan's birthdate and the town where he was born, township, County etc. in PEI that would be helpfull before looking at the 1901 PEI census. You probably dont know your great grandfather's birthdate so start with your grandfathers. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I wonder if your great-grandfather Angus Livingston from PEI lived at Lot 8 and was the Angus Livingston born abt. 1869/1872 who married Julia Mcrae Stewart 1876-1904. His father was James Livingston born abt. 1816 and his wife Mary born abt. 1831. Angus is probably listed in the 1901 and 1911 PEI Census which the government in Ottawa has recently released to the public. I would assume both your Angus and his son Duncan, your mother's father will be in there somewhere. As long as you and your mom know the town where her father Duncan was living in 1901 in PEI it would not be that difficult to find Angus and Duncan in the 1901 or 1911 census for that town providing one has access to these census records. That would be the first place to start. The 1901 census for Canadian Provinces usually gives the full birthdate for each person censused which is a nice feature as well. So if you can find out Duncan's birthdate and the town where he was born, township, County etc. in PEI that would be helpfull before looking at the 1901 PEI census. You probably dont know your great grandfather's birthdate so start with your grandfathers. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael, Dont let the Livingston spelling throw you. In the highland census records in Argyll county in the 1800's Livingston is quite a common spelling.Lots of highland Livingstons and their descendants spelled their name Livingston other went with Livingstone. A check of the census records for Argyll in the 1800's showed a marked preference for the Livingston spelling unless of course it is the preference of the census takers. regards, Donald