1740's 1750's Argyll McLea records

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kin, Some of you have been frustrated in your research by the lack of mid 18th century Argyll MacLea documents that have survived the ages. Fortunately there are a few out there from the mid 1700's just prior to the Livingstone name change that have been helpful in researching Morvern/Isle of Lismore MacLeas. From the period of the 1740's and 1750's: 1. From Memoranda prepared by an Appin Stewart Charles Stewart, nephew of Fasnacloich, Captain in the Highland Army and sometimes Quartermaster-General and Secretary to Prince Charles Edward of Names in Appin Regiment Killed or Wounded in 1745-1746 MacLeas  4 Killed 1 Wounded It is a well known fact that Movern and Isle of Lismore MacLeas/MacOnleas served with distinction in the Appin Stewart Regiment and participated in the Battle of Culloden. There is a notion that the MacLeas/MacOnleas were septs of the Stewarts of Appin, but it is probably more historically accurate that our MacLea clan formed alliances with the Stewarts, MacDougalls and Campbells overs the centuries, but never considered themselves in any way septs to these more powerful clans. As the clan was inclined to be Jacobite in its politics it invariably found itself more often than not opposed to the Campbells. The most famous Maconlea at the Battle of Culloden was Donald Livingstone of Morvern who rescued the banner of the Stewart of Appin, but there were also Bachuil Maconleas at Culloden. It is interesting to note Dr. Livingstone in his 1857 biography mentions that his great grandfather was killed at the Battle of Culloden. No doubt this detail and many others were told to the Doctor by his grandfather, Neil Livingstone the family storyteller. 2. 1751 Valuation of Argyllshire Proprietors Duncan MacInlea of Bachuil (Isle of Lismore) This entry is of interest because it is certainly one of the last to record a Baron of Bachuil as a Maconlea. There is a certain degree of uncertainty as to when precisely the MacLeas/MAcInleas on the Isle of Lismore and neigbouring Movern and Benderloch changed their name in large numbers to Livingstone. Not all the baptismal and marriage records for Argyll survive from the 1750's, but Baptismal records record a Livingstone on the Isle of Lismore as early as 1759, suggesting that efforts to change the name to Livingstone had begun on the Island as early as the 1750's. Changing the name to Livingstone must of been a well organised but challenging task, indicating to me strong and decisive leadership behind the effort. I am interested in locating the original memoranda by Charles Stewart of casualties of the Appin Regiment circa 1745-1746 and contacting someone who has had access to the original. Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Very interesting records, Donald! I had heard of the memoranda and the MacLeas killed and wounded, but like you have had no access to the original(s).  I have always found these stories very interesting and a great connection to a historical event! As for the 1751 Valuation, I had never heard of this!  (Or if I had, I had forgotten, always a possibility.)  Anyway, as for name changing, this has gotten me to thinking the reverse question -- Why didn't _my_ ancestors change their names to Livingston(e) if it was happening from the 1750s through to the early 1800s.  And the Parish records from Bute are very clear as well -- though the occasional Livingston did show up in the records, all of the sundry McOnLeas, McLeas, and MacLeas, continued to name themselves that right to the end of the records I've looked at, which is well into the 1800s. So, it's clear that on the Isle of Bute (or at least Rothesay parish, but most likely the whole island), the name change did not occur.  I wonder why?? Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Thats a good question. The only thing I can say is that those McLeas on the Isle of Lismore and at neighbouring Morvern,Benderloch, Appin and Mull and perhaps other localities in Argyll made the change before the 1770's as early as the latter part of the 1750's possibly. I would like to take a closer look and see if by looking at the records circa 1770's just how far the name change extended. Anotherwards try and plot on a map the extent and limit. Obviously some MacLeas did not change their name to Livingstone; the most obvious candidates would be those living outside of Argyll. A detailed map of the extent of the Livingstones from the time of the official name change in the 1700's in Argyllshire would be worth doing, if I had all the info. regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Continuing the search for the MacLea/Maconleas who became Livingstones in the 1700's. Ulva near Mull is where Dr. Livingstone's Grandfather lived whose family was as the Doctor noted Maconlea. Ulva is not where the grandfather was born however and there is an understanding that his family is connected with the Lismore or Movern Maconleas. A little farther from Ulva is Colonsay where there was a Dunislea McOnlea residing there in the year 1656. According to one source there was a marriage 19 June 1756 between a Duncan and Mary Livingston at Kilchatton which I believe is located on Colonsay. Going farther south there were lots of Livingstons on the Isle of Islay, many of them settling there after 1775, but it would be interesting to see if there is an earlier Maconlea-Livingstone clan connection there. regards Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I do appreciate how much work it would take to put together such a map, but it of course would be fascinating and very helpful to look at.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Looking around for Kilchatton, I found this site with the Kerrera Census for 1851 on it. It lists several Livingstones, from Morvern, Kilbride, Oban, and more. http://www.argyllroots.co.uk/Kerera1851.html Kyle=
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

But of course I should look at our own Forum, because Rob put together this message from a year ago about McLea at Kilchatton: http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... asp?ID=335 K=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Rob, I wish I could be more helpful to the clan, but not living in Scotland you can only do so much. I am for the most part learning Scottish history as I do this research and am finding detailed maps to be a useful asset for someone like myself who gets easily lost in the highlands.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kin, Continuing my discussion of the name "McFerchar", from my last e-mail, if one accepts Skene's Pedigree's included with his 19th century collection "Celtic Scotland" as did Highland Clan historian Sir Allan Moncrief then Mackenzies, MacLeans and McNabs among others area descend from a 7th century King of Dalraida named Ferchar Fada. I realize that these pedigrees in particular our Maconlea-Livingstone connection to one of them is a source of debate and is being challenged, but in any event I found the probable origins of the name McFerchar interesting. regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

I want to thank you for the information you have provided on this thread.