1740's 1750's Argyll McLea records

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bachuil

Welcome, Virginia

Post by Bachuil »

Welcome, Virginia. There is little doubt that we are cousins. There are several very active and knowledgeable contributors on the forum that are a great asset. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Virginia! We will plan on taking a look at our database and seeing if we can slot Peter and Flory in and see if we can track them back.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, That Peter Livingston and McColl from Appin rings a bell. There was a gentleman who contacted us before Christmas I think asking about the Port Appin Livingstons and he
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Yes, my family has roots in Sarnia,Ontario I laughed as I was reading the posts re: Dr. Livingstone and all of the "so called relatives." I too, have a story, perhaps you can authenticate it or put it to rest. Dugald Livingston born unknown married Margaret "Peggy" McCallum November 22, 1803 in Old Miln. ( I have found many of their children's births recorded in the parish records of the treasures? website listed on the forum.) their daughter Betty Livingston, born November 22 1803 in Appin died Plympton Lambton county Ontario.
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Thank you...I have photos and memorial cards from Angus H Livingston and Agnes "Nancy" McTaggart. who is the son of Peter Livingston born 1772 or 1776 Lismore Scotland and died July 14 1853.(however the ages don't line up with the census info but it is close within a year or two.) I am looking for Peter Livingston's parents. Unknown Livingston/e & unknown We surmise that Peter's father's name was Angus as he named his first son Angus H. Livingston/e.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Are there alternate Scottish names for Angus? I looked for Peter son of Angus in our DB, but there aren't any in the right time frame.
Canadian Livingstone

Welcome, Virginia

Hello Baron, Virginia with her apparent Appin Livingston roots could be a cousin of the Bachuil Livingstones. She is decended from a Livingston family that lived in the same Township in Ontario as Angus Livingston born in Port Appin son of Peter Livingston and Flora (Flora) McColl. She believes her family is connected to Port Appin family. As you may recall there was a Livingston gentleman from British Columbia who is a decendant of this Angus Livingston who came to Ontario, Canada in 1848 and eventually settled in Wyoming, Plympton Township, Ontario and was married to Agnes McTaggart. This Livingston from British Columbia was tested and found to be a match to your Bachuil family of Livingstones. My next step will be to sort out in my mind all the details of Virginia's connection to Angus Livingston's family in Plympton Township and establish the connection with the available records. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia, I noticed some time back that there is a record in the Appin Parish Book of a Peter Livingston born or baptised on April 12, 1797 which is of course a few years short of the estimated birth date of sometime between 1799 and 1801 deduced from the 1841 Appin Census record. The parents listed are Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab of Port Appin This could be the Peter Livingston of Port Appin and I presumed it to be because I did not see another in the 1841 Census at Port Appin. Cant account for the descrepancy in the baptismal/birth? date however. I assume that was transcribed correctly from the original parish records,but it never hurts to go back and check the original from the LDS microfilm copy available from LDS family history centres or from public libraries that have a microfilm loan program with the L.DS. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Can you provide me with your family tree from Catherine Jane Livingstone 1860-1941 going back
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Peter Livingston was married in 1817, Angus his son was married in 1848. Your John Livingston was married in 1829 to Betsy Livingston. If there is a connection I would assume it would be between Peter Livingstone and John Livingston or his wife Betsy who was also a Livingston. If there was any family connection I would assume that John or his wife Betsy were cousins of Angus Livingston's son Peter Livingston back in Appin. I realize that there was information that there was a Dougald Livingston and Margaret MacCallum connection but for the moment I am just trying to grasp a simple understanding of how Peter Livingston and his son Angus could be related to your John Livington and his wife Betsy. I noticed in some previous information I received a while back on this family I got the impression that it was not understood that Dougald Livingston and Peter Livingston were not of the same generation, Dougald being born in the 1770's I believe whatever connection might exist between them they dont seem to be father or son and not brothers because of their significant age difference. The connection between the Dougald Livingston and Peter Livingston family may well exist and hopefully as look more closely at your Livingston family tree I will see it. I am very enthusiastic about establishing this Livingston connection between the two families in Plympton Township and appreciate your help on this one. Which son of Dougald Livingston and Margaret MacCallam is said to have settled in Plympton Township? There is a list of their family in the Appin Parish records included in our Web site parish records collection as you know. Once I get this all figured out I will hopefully be of some help to you. regards, Donald