Dr. David Livingston without the e

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Dr. David Livingston without the e

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew, In one of my recent messages I referred to Dr. Livingstone's father for a time had dropped the e from the family name. The source was actually a biography on Dr. Livingstone's published in the late 1800's. The name of the book and it'st author I have temporarily forgotten, but I found the quote I was looking for: "The Saxon name of the family was originally spelled Livingstone, but the Doctor's father had shortened it by the omission of the final "e". David wrote it for many years in the abbreviated form, but about 1857, at his father's request, he restored the original spelling." Most of these 19th century DAvid Livingstone biographies basically repeat much of what was stated in Livingstone's own 1857 autobiography that contains a very brief account of his familie's highland origins. It is worth checking them all out however, because some occasionally do contain some rare tidbit of information that was drawn from some other obscure source about Livingstone's family. It is truly regretfull that the Doctor felt that his readers would not be interested in a