Isles I1c

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Miles - McMolmore

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Niall, I knew that Miles was born sometime between 1775 and 1780 in the Morvern/Isle of Lismore area, but Rod McQuarrie who has visited your site from time to time pointed out to me from his Hudson Bay Company record research that he understood that my ancestor Miles Livingstone that went to Selkirks Settlement was born in 1775. That of course matches a baptismal date 1775 for a Miles Livingstone son of Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell of the Isle of Lismore. Before my father's late cousin William Livingstone Clink passed away, I believe he contacted your father and cousin William had reached the same conclusion that our ancestor Miles was the son of Donald an Christian Livingstone of the Isle of Lismore. A few years after his death, I located Miles marriage record from Bowmore, Isle of Islay that indicated he was infact a native of Morvern. Despite a possible descrepancy, one got the general sense of where to find the origins of Mile's Livingstone's kin. Further research on my part revealed that Miles went to the Settlement with his second wife Janet, his son from his second marriage Donald Livingston (1796-1862) and a young cousin? also named Donald Livingstone (1791-1876).

Bearing in mind that Miles was probably young when his father left their home on the Isle of Lismore/Morvern area, in later years in 1812 when his marriage record was filled out he may have stated he was a native of Morvern simply because in his mind the Isle of Lismore was a part of the Morvern area. Consider he was a boatbuilder living on the Isle of Islay who may have not been well informed on the geography of his earlier childhood birthplace. This is my theory anyways that would possibly make my Miles Livingstone the son of Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell of the ISle of Lismore. But as you have stated before whether Miles is from Morvern as he stated or from your Isle of Lismore, the local Maconlea/Livingstone families presumingly all are somewhat connected directly or indirectly to you and your father's ancestors as kin and neighbouring clan members to be sure. Many people complain that they have hit a brick wall in trying to locate information on their ancestors, I certainly can't make the same complaint. regards Donald
Grant South1

Miles - McMolmore

Post by Grant South1 »

Donald, You bring an interesting point to the table being one of kinship. In my research of my wifes family from a branch of the Mackay Chiefs. I note that many folk who married possessed a kinship in a range between 2nd to 4th cousins in either agnatic or cognatic lines.