James Livingston of Kinderhook

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

That may be the case. Being that they are a famous family in New York State, the genealogy is probably reasonably accurate as far as Robert's sons goes and I just don't see anywhere this James Livingstone in the family trees for the family in Columbia or neighbouring Dutchess or Albany County, NY. So who knows, perhaps he is German like his wife or an unknown relative of Robert or some "other" Livingston of Scottish origin. Yes DNA may ultimately provide the answers. regards Donald
Karen Livingston Bernardo

Post by Karen Livingston Bernardo »

Donald, Kyle, and Andrew, I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I had no idea you were having this long chat on my family's behalf! (Thanks!) I can trace my family solidly back to James Livingston of Kinderhook, definitely not to Robert Livingston in any way. If I'm even a Clermont COUSIN, I can't find the connection. I knew James married a Palatine girl named Catherina Kuhn; I knew who her parents were, and why they came to America. But it is almost as if James was beamed to Kinderhook from another universe. He seems to have had no parents at all -- or at least, I have no idea who they were. We know who Robert's parents were, of course; Robert Livingston was the son of a dissident Protestant minister (Rev. John Livingston) and Janet Fleming, of Scotland originally. Rev. John, who had MANY children, spent much of his adult life shuttling back and forth between Scotland and the Netherlands. His son William, an Edinburgh merchant, married a woman named Ann Veitch -- related to Samuel Vetch, reviled in Scotland for his part in the Darien Scheme and proclaimed a hero in Canada. I have read -- but only once, and from a somewhat unreliable source -- that William and Ann had two sons named James and Andrew. If so, the kids seem to have vanished into thin air. You mentioned the possibility that some Palatines took the name Livingston while they were living on Livingston land, and I had heard that as well, but I never gave it any credence until now because it made no sense to me; most of the Palatines HATED the Livingstons. (I could never figure out how James and Catherina got together!) If any other males who know they're descended from James had their DNA tested, it seems to me that this would likely prove our origin once and for all. I can't help you there, though; my dad and my brother are both dead. -- Karen Livingston Bernardo
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi everyone DNA update. Well, I can not say not yet say that we are confident that we have identified the Clermont line's DNA signature, but it is probably that of one of the kits 40585, 92987, or 97445. This Kinderhook family should be 109136. All four are very different from each other! Best Regards Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Everyone, The more participation from descendants of Robert Livingston of Dutchess County, NY we get in the DNA Project the better from which to compare any other Livingstons that have roots in New York State. Only with a Livingston descendant of James Livingston can we begin to try to answer the question of a connextion to Robert Livingston's family. So far the historical information is not entirely clear regretably. regards, Donald