Rev Robert Levingstoun of Skerling descended from house of Levingston of Wemes

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Beryl Bass

Post by Beryl Bass »

According to Dugdale's visitations to Yorkshire  in 1665 I have the following info on my 8x g grandfather, Rev. Samuel Levingston(e) of Danby, N. Yks. Robert Levingstoun of Skerling, Scotland, Clerke descended of the house of Levingston of Wemes in the county of Fyfe in Scotland and died 1658 married Mary, d/o ? Hebburne Samuel Levingston(e) (Rev) b c 1613 or 1601 Stirlingshire, Scotland, came to Yorkshire in 1613 and died in Danby, N. Yks 25 Aug 1677.  According to Rev Sam's will he married Margaret Ratcliffe from Staithes chr 20 Aug 1615 d/o John Ratcliffe, buried 1704. According to the Will of Rev Sam he had the following relatives in addition to his wife, Margaret Rev Robert Levingston - brother, of Clidesdale, Scotland Robert Levingston - nephew Samuell Levingston - nephew James Levingston - nephew Hellen Levingston - sister George Levingstoun of Ingleby (Yks) - brother I am seeking info on Rev Robert Levingstoun of Skerling, the father of Rev Sam. and also anything on his various relatives listed above - particularly his brother, Rev Robert Levingston of Clidesdale, Scotland. They were evidently not CofE as Rev Sam lost his job at the end of the Commonwealth for this reason. They were extremely well-to-do. Any info would be appreciated Thanks Beryl
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

Hi Beryl, I have a little bit of information that may be of interest to you.  First, there was a James Livingston of Skerling, a purser to the king who was given the lease of the lands of Achaduine on the Isle of Lismore in the 1640s.  This may be the same James Livingston, newphew to Rev Sam or some other relative.  The lease was for 30 years, but it appears to have terminated about 1647. We have been engaged in DNA testing, and it should come as no surprise that a 'Skerling' who had his DNA tested comes close to the DNA of Baron Livingstone of Bachuil (Lismore) and a MacKinlay from Dunbarton.  (See the DNA results page at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rlivingston1 ... _table.htm to view the actual results). My research has led me to believe that "Sker+ling" is from the Anglo-Saxon 'scir+levin' and translates as 'parish of Levin'.  The 'v' has dropped out because the name is presented in the genitive case.  If you take a close look at a map of Peebleshire, you will notice that the town of Skirling sits close to the "River Lynn" (river of Levin), West Linton (west Levin-town), Linnkirk (Levin's church), and a good number of other such placenames that have this element.  You have the same kind of thing happening near the town of Livingston in West Lothian.  Near to "Livingston" are the hamlets of of "Linnhouse" (Levin's house) and "Linn Manor" (Levin's manor), both of which sit on "Linn Water" (water of Levin).  This is taken a step further in a similar manner with the old towns of "Liviston" and "Liviston Peel".  These now appear on the maps (minus the 'v') as Newliston, Overliston, Illiston, Nether Newliston, Engliston, and Aliston. It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that Clan MacLea/Livingston has to begin taking a good hard look at all placenames containing the element "leven/levin" and the genitive form "lynn/lyn/linn/lin/line".  These are extremely numerous and include not just rivers and lochs and pastures, but many towns, such as "Lin-disfarne", "Dunfirm-line", "Stir-ling", etc.  Weems, you will notice, is just a couple miles south of the river and community of Leven. Rob
Charles Ross

Post by Charles Ross »

Dear Beryl, do you have this information already? 1597 ROBERT LIVINGSTON, min. of Ellem 1593; trans. to Drumelzier 1594; trans. and adm. 1st April 1597; a member of Assemblies 1610 and 1638; dem. 8th April 1641; died 21st May 1658. He marr. (1) Marion Fortune (Edin. Com. Dec., 27th May 1619): (2) Margaret, sister of Sir William Douglas of Cavers, widow of John Douglas, min. of Kilbucho (Reg. of Deeds, dxxvi., 207; Acts and Decreets, ccccxl., 334, 1631), and had issue-Robert (Reg. of Deeds, dvii., 501); Alexander (Prot. BK, A. Guthrie, 22nd April 1631); Samuel (Reg. of Deeds, ccclxxiii., 47, ccccxxxv., 187); Margaret (marr., cont. 4th Sept. 1615, William, son of John Tailziefer [Telfer] of Abington: ibid., cclv., 414); (Marion, marr. Alexander Stevenson)-[Reg. Assig., Test. and Edin. Reg. (Bur.), Calderwood's and Stevenson's Hists.] Regards Charles
Charles Ross

Post by Charles Ross »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the information comes from Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae Regards aye Charles