Ballachulish Livingstons

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
John Livingston

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by John Livingston »

Hi Folks - as promised - this is what I know a the moment (... and thanks Grant and Niall for the support and assistance to date - would not have gotten this far without it.) ... and Apologies for the delay in responding.
Bachuil

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Bachuil »

Ban is Gaelic for Fair. With many people called James - and a few surnames - people were often give a sobriquet. I think that the odds are about 100:1 that you are a highland Livingstone. Regards N
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
John Livingston

Ballachulish Livingstons

Hi Niall That's good news.
Andrew Lancaster4

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hoping to see you in the DNA project! Every family that can trace itself back to Argyllshire is potentially very helpful to the project overall. Regards Andrew
John Livingston

Ballachulish Livingstons

Hi Andrew Great to hear from you - hopefully shall have this on the way in the coming week - all going to plan - how long does the process usually take?
John Livingston

Ballachulish Livingstons

Hi Folks I spent quite some time and credits last evening on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ attempting to trace back from James to his parent's who were John Livingston and Mary Livingston (nee Fraser).
Bachuil

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Bachuil »

If you search on Glencoe and North Lorn Folk Museum in google you get quite a few hits. It seems as though Barbara is connected to it. Glencoe Village Glencoe PA39 4HS Contact Telephone: 01855 811 664
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle2 MacLea

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi John, As you probably know, in that time frame, records are hit-and-miss.
Grant South1

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Grant South1 »

Yes, most folk do not get back pass the 1760's in their Highland research. I have a few lines which end in the 1840's in Glasgow. Lines of those beyond the late 1800's are normally only outlined in local histories of clans and families. Hints are often found if it was the habit of the parish to record the Gaelic alias of individuals. This at times included up to three generations- as an extended lineage. All the best. Grant.
Andrew Lancaster4

Ballachulish Livingstons

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi John Leadtime: expect the worst, but then expect to be surprised. It is not so bad. Cheers to you Andrew