Early Livingstons of Mull island

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

Below are census record of Mull island, what are the odds that these livingston are of highland origin? This may sound stupid, but mull is considered a highland area? I am suspicious about the family in Creich!!! 1716 District No :
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Bob, There is a Creich is on Mull. A fairly common name but you can see the locality here http://www.bunessan.bordernet.co.uk/history/fion.html - Creich Church is situated on the roadside close to Fionnphort. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

I forgot to add a few Livingstons, forgive me, but I want to include all, so here is a continuation of them in Census: 1779 District No :
Bachuil

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Bachuil »

It is interesting to see this variation of Dunsleve. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I had no idea the name was still being used as a personal name this late. Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Me neither!
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

There is a possibilty That my Ann Livingston could be a niece of Donald Livingston born abt 1776, Isle of Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland & Cirsty Campell born
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

Now look oopps we missied one daughter of Donald & Cirsty and HMMM that missing person is the Marrion!!!!! 1841 Kilfinichen & Kilvicheon District No : 2
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

This "Duslea" is no doubt a significant find and apparently a rare example of the use of the Duslea (Dunslea)in the latter part of the 1700's as a first name. I had looked through the 1779 records last year, but had not made a note of it. Nice work Bob. Not so long ago I came across a Dunslea Maconlea from the period of the mid 1600's that I had not noticed before in the research material. There are of course other examples from that earlier period. This Duslea Livingstone however is a rare and interesting bridge between our ancient celtic name and that of our adopted lowland name in my oppinion. My family for a number of generations used the name "Miles" as well as Livingstone in honor of our ancestor Miles Livingstone. Irish and Scotish scholars all seem to agree that Miles is the anglicised adaptation of old celtic name Maelmoire. And as the Young Bachuil has pointed out in the past the name Miles Livingstone itself probably originates from an ancient Livingstone ancestor named Maelmoire from the Isle of Lismore. One such Maelmoire mentioned in the familie's 1544 charter was in all likelihood Alistair and Niall's ancestor and that of many o Livingstone descendants whose family is connected to the Isle of Lismore/Morvern Livingstones. Recently I discoved through military and provincial records that my father's Uncle also named "Miles" did not perish in World War I as my Aunt had stated and infact had never joined up with the Canadian Expeditionary Force or served overseas at that time. Instead having become estranged from his family and having lost touch with my grandfather, he spent most of his life in Northern British Columbia ranching and died in 1944. My Aunt is quite elderly, but no doubt she will appreciate learning that after all those many years we finally now that Uncle Miles did not die on a battlefield in France in 1918.
Kyle2 MacLea

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

That is quite a find, Donald!