Hugh Livingston(e)

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Ralph Livingstone

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

I'm looking for information on Hugh Livingston(e), Son of Duncan Livingston and Mary McColl, born 26 Aug, 1872 in Lismore. He appears in the 1881 census in Lismore. He may have apprenticed or worked as a bricklayer, before emigrating to Prince Edward Island.
Kyle2 MacLea

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Welcome, Ralph!
Ralph Livingstone

Hugh Livingston(e)

Thanks for the welcome, Kyle! I haven't actually gotten too far yet, making the connection back to Scotland. Most of what I know comes from conversations I had with my late Grandfather, Alton Hugh Livingstone, who was born in Mass. in March of 1898. His father was Hugh Livingstone, born between 1870-1873 in Scotland. My "Grampy" told me that Hugh was a highland Livingstone from the Lismore area, who came to Massachusetts via Prince Edward Island. At family gatherings when I was a child, my Grampy and uncles would wear the kilt, and talk of Scotland (and sip a bit of Scottish whisky). Hugh's wife was Isabel, and they had 2 other children, Edna and Elmo. Hugh died in an accident in the 1920's, when a scaffold he was working on collapsed. Uncle Elmo was also injured in the accident, but he lived on until his death in California in Nov. of 1974. Because Hugh died before the Social Security system started (in 1936), I've been mainly looking through church and immigration references for reliable information. I've found many records pertaining to Hugh Livingstone (and Livingston), but very few with references that I can positively link to my Great-Grandfather, since it seems a fairly common Scottish name. One recent example I found was a permit Hugh pulled in the early 1920's to build a 2-family brick building on Harvard University's campus. I was somewhat excited by the prospect of visiting a building laid down by my Grandfather's Father, until I spotted a 1930's permit to raze the same, to make way for a larger school building. One side note, that's most likely the result of pure coincidence: I was rather surprised when I first saw the photograph of the Clan Chief, Alastair Livingstone, holding the Bachuil Mor. Both my Father and Grandfather bear more than a little resemblance to him.
Canadian Livingstone

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ralph, You've probably come to the right place if your searching for your Isle of Lismore Livingstones. Hopefully more of the "lost Livingstones" whose families originated from the Isle of Lismore, Morvern, Mull, Ulva and other adjacent places will discover this site. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone was born at Movern, but was baptised at the neighbouring Isle of Lismore in 1775 it would seem. His father Donald Livingstone a tenant and his family left sometime after that, finding work at Bowmore on the Isle of Islay before the clearances. His sons Donald Livingstone Jr. and my ancestor Miles Livingstone boatbuilders along with a younger Donald Livingstone b.1791 were recruited by agents of Lord Selkirk for his Red River colony located in present day Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada. In June of 1812 after marrying his wife Janet also a native of Morvern, he left the Isle of Islay boarding a Schooner at Bowmore travelling to the port of Sligo Ireland where a Hudson's Bay Company vessel was waiting to take Miles and other highland Scottish and IRish settlers to British North AMerica.
Bachuil

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Ralph, So much of your posting strongly indicates a Lismore connection. Firstly family legend is sometimes lightly embellished but more often than not is based on fact. Secondly, the names Hugh and Iasabel are very common in Lismore and Appin. Finally, the physical resamblance is often remarkable amongst our kin.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

We'd very much like you in the DNA project. We should be able to confirm if you are in the Chief's family. See: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm Best Regards Andrew
Ralph Livingstone

Hugh Livingston(e)

I may well participate in the DNA project, but have just recently "invested" in some geneological materials. With my two children just starting in college, I need to keep a low monetary profile in front of my wife for awhile, to avoid friction. In looking over the DNA charts, I'm not yet clear as to what the colors indicate. I'll have to read up on "markers" and "stutters", and read over the charts again.
Ralph Livingstone

Hugh Livingston(e)

Thank you for your kind welcome, Niall! As to the "Cousin" classification, I am not getting my hopes up too high yet that I will so easily find the roots of my Great-Grandfather's family. The possibility of us being third or fourth cousins twice removed is intriguing - but more research and clues from the DNA study may prove otherwise. By "receding hair at the temple", do you mean right in front of the ears, or the sides of the forehead, more over the eyebrows (as my father and I have)? The coincidental resemblance I noticed from the photos was mainly the eyes, nose, and shape of the cheeks and mouth. I'll have to post a photo of my father up on my webspace for you to look at. Ralph
Kyle2 MacLea

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

You can always start out testing 12 markers and then move on up from there as money allows.
Kyle2 MacLea

Hugh Livingston(e)

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Andrew is very good at helping everyone understand the results.