Mary McLean

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bob Turcott

Mary McLean

Post by Bob Turcott »

To all: I thought I would pass this Mclean query on a scotland cenmetery forum, I dont think its a mclea query, but it could be I am not sure, I think Mclean may be separate from mclea surname? This could be somebodys family here, thats why I posted it here just in case. From: Diana Briere dbriere@shawcable.com Date: 10/09/06 20:27:01 To: SCOTLAND-CEMETERIES@rootsweb.com Subject: Lamont - McLean I am looking for the information of where my ggggg grandparents were born and buried. They were both born in Argyl Scotland and probably in Kilninian or Dunoon. John was born between 1740 and 1760, posibly July 41 1741.(and married a (Mary) Or born March 9, 1745 and been the son of John Lamont and MacInnes. Mary McLean was born July 31,1754 in Kilinian and Kilmore,Isle of Mull Scotland. Or ABT 1761 Scotland. John and Mary were married July 22, 1775 in Kilinian, Kilmore,Scotland. They had 10 children. If anyone can help it would be highly appreciated. Please contact me at dbriere@shawcable.com Thanks from Diana ------------------------------- SCOTLAND-CEMETERIES searchable archives can be viewed at: http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bi ... cemeteries Or SCOTLAND-CEMETERIES threaded archives at: http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/s ... cemeteries ------------------------------- To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to SCOTLAND-CEMETERIES-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
Kyle2 MacLea

Mary McLean

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Bob, As you probably know there *were* times when McLeas and McLeans have been mixed up, especially in the lowlands and cities.
Bob Turcott

Mary McLean

Post by Bob Turcott »

Kyle, I also recall seeing somewhere that there was some history between the Mclea & Mclean families, but that history is not known to me. I do know that Mclean's are associated for the most part with Duart Castle, but I do recall there is some history between both families. And yes if its a mixed Mclea instead Mclean then your right. There may have been intstances where Mclea may have even married Mclean, but thats a whole separate issue. Bob
Bob Turcott

Mary McLean

Post by Bob Turcott »

Kyle, I remember now, a referance to the Duart Murder in an article posted on this website called Celtic review and very interesting, but it is Noted that: Livingstone of Bachuill was grieved when he Heard of the death of his good friend Stewart of Appin. Bob T.
Canadian Livingstone

Mary McLean

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All, Although there may have been the odd family in Scotland that changed their name from MacLea to MacLean, I would be almost 100% certain in this case that this person being researched is of Clan MacLean and that should probably be the focus of their research. Indeed the MacLeans of Mull and Movern and the neighbouring highland McLeas had a long history together in Argyll. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone, a native of Morvern, spent several weeks aboard the Hudsons Bay Company vessel "Charles Taylor" in the Summer of 1812 with a large party of MacLeans led by Alexander MacLean from Nothern Mull who had been granted land in British North America by Lord Selkirk at his Red River colony. To break up the boredom on this long journey, Mr MacLean had his servant an accomplished piper with him, who also provided music for Scottish dancing aboard the ship. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink