Tartans

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Heather Livingston Willis1

Tartans

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

I'm curious about how the Livingstone tartans were developed.
Kyle2 MacLea

Tartans

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I have no idea who designed the colors, though others may. I think the important things to remember are these: 1.
Bachuil

Tartans

Post by Bachuil »

There are an amazing amounts of Tartan books published by authors who have simply copied the rubbish spouted by predecessors. One of the better books is by James D Scarlett - Tartan: The Highland Textile. Skipping over the argument about how recent tartan is, it is nevertheless an interesting exercise to see how close a tartan is to another. Both Scarlett and the Scottish Tartans Authority note how close it is to the Keppoch tartan. See http://www.clanlivingstone.com/Tartans.htm for examples. The STA say Colour Sequence: GRKRKRGRGRGRGRKRKR Thread Count: G24R8K2R4K2R8G32R40G4R16G4R40G32R8K2R4K2R8 Notes: As #895 (Keppoch but with black instead of green lines between the green bands. STS notes: Robert Bain's ''The Clans and Tartans of Scotland'' illustrates this sett. It is similar to the MacDonell of Keppoch. The small Highland clan of Livingston from the Isle of Lismore and Western Argyll originally bore a Gaelic name spelled in different ways - MacDunsleinhe, Mac-an-Leigh, or Maclea - and they were connected to the Stewarts of Appin. There is also an unconnected Lowland family deriving their name from the lands of Levingstoun. The STA say about the Dress Tartan Colour Sequence: YKWKWKWKWKYKWKWBWKWKYKWKWKWKWK Thread Count: Y8K4WW8K8WW6K8WW6K6WW40K4Y6K4WW6K6WW6RB108WW6K6WW6K4Y6K4WW40K6WW6K8WW6K8WW8K4 Notes: From W J A Livingstone of Bachuil. STS notes: The small Highland clan of Livingston from the Isle of Lismore and Western Argyll originally bore a Gaelic name spelled in different ways - MacDunsleinhe, Mac-an-Leigh, or Maclea - and they were connected to the Stewarts of Appin. There is also an unconnected Lowland family deriving their name from the lands of Levingstoun. Sindex notes: Claimed to have been in the possession of a Canadian whose grandparents were reputed to have lived in the early 19th century. Specimens - The Kilt Shop, King George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. Cochrane's Store, 1935. This tartan was sent to us by a Canadian family whose family had emigrated from Paisley as far as I recall. Anyway, two important points so far.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Tartans

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi all, My understanding is that clan tartans as we known them today became a fad throughout Scotland in the 19th century with many lowland families adopting or creating tartans that were never worn by their clans prior. And although there is strong evidence supporting the notion that a number of highland clans wore tartan long ago and prior to the 19th century, each clan did not neccessarily have their own family tartan as is the case today. On the other hand, at the Battle of Culloden, we do know from contemporary paintings that certain clans were dressed in the same tartan. It seems to me however unlikely that an ordinary Livingstone tenant farmer in the early 1700's for example would likely have access to expensive red or green dyes to produce something akin to the Old Livingstone Tartan one of family tartans in use now. But that being said I think those that have unfortunately stated that the common tenant farmer in the highland did not wear any form of tartan kilt is quite wrong. It is clear from a number of early credible sources that tartans were worn by the common folk in Argyll probably produced with whatever cheap dyes they could create or acquire locally. These tartans in all likelihood weren't a colourful or elaborate as the bright red and green variations we see amongst various Argyll clans for example, but could have variations of brown and grey and black with some other colours from local plant dyes thrown in the mix if possible. In any event I simply don't agree with the notion that only the more affluent clan members wore tartan in ancient times as some have suggested. Actually I to have wondered how the Lowland Livingstones ended up with a tartan pattern a variation of the typical red and green that smacks of being or Argyllshire origin. As for the highland Livingstones we know from at least one contemporary account by a Movern resident in the 19th century that old Donald Livingstone (1728-1816)of Savary,Movern a hotelkeeper, local hero and veteran of the Battle of Culloden as elderly man was remembered to have worn a tartan kilt on a regular basis. Regretably this account does not provide us with a detailed description of the tartan, but we can assume it was one with he likely wore at the Battle of Culloden (1746). That of course is not to say that it was a designated Livingstone clan tartan or just a popular pattern commonly worn in the district by more than one clan as may have been the case in those early years. I think there are more than a few people, (myself included) who were disappointed when they learned that their current clan tartans are not some ancient patterns worn for hundreds of years by their sword bearing highland ancestors. Still I think highly of the modern custom of wearing clan tartan among Scots throughout the world, although I must say I am not quite ready for a plate of haggis. regards Donald (Livingstone) CLink
Kyle2 MacLea

Tartans

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Donald's reply is quite apt.
Andrew Lancaster4

Tartans

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi Kyle You'll be fascinated to know that tartans have been found in salt caves in Austria and in the graves in Chinese Turkistan. It is clearly one of the oldest Indo-European traditions - much older than Gaelic for example. Google Urumchi Best Regards Andrew
Kyle2 MacLea

Tartans

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Fascinating, Andrew!