Canadian Livingstones

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Canadian Livingstones

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Suzanne, Certainly we have to check out the possibility that one or more of those Livingstones that settled in Lanark County some twenty years or more before Dr. David Livingstone's brother John, might have been related. I will have a chance tomorrow after the busy Christmas season to go through my notes and list those original Livingstone settlers of Lanark County circa 1818 -1821. I think you will find it of interest. Interestly though by the time John Livingstone arrived sometime between 1843 and 1845 from Scotland some of these families had left Lanark County. I was hoping when I checked out the 1851 Lanark County Census I would find John and Sarah Livingstone living with or near an original Livingstone family from Lanark COunty which might suggest a family connection, but that is not the case in their 1851 records. Nevertheless I am going to continue to pursue the possibility that John Livingstone and family left behind some clues as to other Livingstones in Lanark County and elsewhere in Ontario, Canada who might be related to them. In any event research on Dr. David's brother John will prove of some benefit should we be ever contacted by one his descendants living today in Canada or the United States. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Canadian Livingstones

Hi Bob, Thanks for your info on your Mull Livingstone connection. I wish I knew how the Mull Livingstones connected to my Movern Livingstones and how the Movern and Mull Livingstones connected to the Baron's Isle of Lismore Livingstones, but there seems little doubt are ancestors were all part of the old highland Maconlea clan that lived in this area of Western highlands. Thats great that you have that Parish microfilm reel. Hope it assists you in your Livingstone research. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Bob Turcott

Canadian Livingstones

Post by Bob Turcott »

Bob Turcott

Canadian Livingstones

Post by Bob Turcott »

Canadian Livingstone

Canadian Livingstones

Hi Suzanne, Ok as promised a list of original Livingstone settlers in Lanark County, Ontario 1.Donald and Janet Livingston from Mull Arrived 1818 aboard "Curlew" which sailed from Greenock to Montreal settled in Beckwith Township, Lanark County, Ontario 2. Hugh Livingston listed circa 1820 located Con. 9 Lot 6 West Dalhousie Township, Lanark Township. No emigration info 3. Duncan Livingston and wife, John Livingston and wife left Greenock, Scotland May 19, 1821 aboard the "David of London" to Quebec. Both settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County that year. Duncan was located at Concession 9 Lot 7 West 91 acres. John was located at Concession 10 Lot 6 East next to the above mentioned Hugh Livingston. I don't know at this point whether they originated from Argyle or from Perthshire County, SCotland, but I am interested in finding out more about them. Were they related to William and ISabella Livingstone who also traveled aboard the "David of London" in 1821? 5. Alexander Livingston and his wife Mary Currie arrived from Scotland in the Summer of 1821 and settled on Con. 11 Lot 5 Dalhousie Township, Lanark Couinty. 6. Francis Livingstone located circa 1821 Concession 8 Lot 12 East Dalhousie Township, Lanark County. 7. William Livingston and his wife Isabella Bremner left Greenock, SCotland May 21, 1821 aboard the "David of London". William is believed to have born in the late 1790's at the Port of Monteith in Perthshire, SCotland and died in 1888. He and Isabella were married April 10, 1821 in Kilmadock, Perthshire, Scotland. One source stated they WIlliam Livingstone originated from Dundee, SCotland? They first settled in Lanark Township, Con. 8 Lot 9 East in Lanark COunty and later settled in Refrew County. It is interesting to note that Doctor Livingstones older brother John also settled in the 1840's in Lanark TOwnship, Lanark County but at Con. 2 Lot 2. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink