Livingstons in the Southern US

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kari Livingston

Post by Kari Livingston »

I have been researching the Livingston line and have
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Kari, Many people on the forum or in the DNA project have expertise on the Dunipace Livingstons and will be able to reply with specifics, but I want to encourage you to get one of your male Livingston relatives (I'm assuming by your name that you are female--perhaps incorrectly!) to join the DNA project.
Kari Livingston

I am waiting on a kit from SMGF for me (for my mtDNA) and also one for my father.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kari, Definitely there were Livingstons in Ireland, some of whom made the trek to North America. When going through Livingstons in Canada, researching Dr. David Livingston's brother John, I noticed that while almost all came from Scotland, there was the odd Livingston family that originated from Ireland. I suspect that they originated from the North of Ireland perhaps Scotch-Irish like you mentioned. There were as you probably know a large influx of Scotch-Irish settlers from County Antrim and other counties from the North of Ireland in the 1700's to Pennsylvania and subsequently the neighbouring southern states. After the Napoleonic Wars in the 1800's they began to settle in Canada in great numbers, particulary in the 1830's and 1840's. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kari, It would be interesting to see if any of the "Lowland" Livingstones who fell out of favour with the monarchy for supporting the Jacobite cause in the early 1700's ended up in America as well as Europe at that time. There was also a prominent family of Livingstones landowners and politicians in New York State who descended from a outspoken presbyterian minister and son who was originally banished from Scotland during the restoration by King Charles II. The family lived for a time in Holland. The son Robert Livingstone did rather well for himself settling in Colonial New York acquiring a large parcel of land and large number of Palentine German refugees in the early 1700's became his tenants. If I recall correctly Queen Anne's husband was a Palentine or something like that and she and the Governor of New York assisted in their settlement. This wealthy Livingstone family supported the American revolution, which was a risky venture in New York State which at the time of the revolution was greatly divided between rebels and loyalists and those who couldn't make up their minds which side to support.After the war they participated in the government of the new republic. I don't know if any of the Southern Livingstons have any connection to these New York State Livingstones. I would agree with you that your Livingstone family may have originated in Ireland, likely from lowland scots that settled there possibly in early 1600's. If so I think you may find that your Livingstones then went to Southern States in the 1700's prior to the AMerican Revolution. Just a guess on my part, but based in part on what you said about the large concentration of Scotch-Irish settlement. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kari Livingston

The problem that I keep running into is a complete lack of documentation.
Joseph T. Slavin, III

Post by Joseph T. Slavin, III »

Kari:
Joseph T. Slavin, III

Post by Joseph T. Slavin, III »

On rereading your message, I see you state you were given a descendancy from Dunipace down to your William Livingston (or what was claimed to be such ?).
Kari Livingston

Joe, Thank you for all of the information.