Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kenneth Cooke

Miles / Maolmuire

Post by Kenneth Cooke »

I'm descended from Rev.Miles Swyny of Wexford, whose father was Owen Swyny,(ca1610)farmer of Kinsdale,Cork, desc. from MacSwynys of Fanad. Miles is verified but not Owen.Family split into 2 branches, Shapland Swiny of Wex. and Swe(e)ny
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

I first saw your message you sent to Becky Teubner, researcher for Iowa on USGenweb and Rootsweb, about a year and a half ago when I started doing my research on my Livingston ancestors in earnest. I am glad to find you here because I sent a message to the e-mail address Becky gave me and it came back to me as undeliverable. I am descended from James Livingston, brother of Donald (his daughter Isabella was my great grandmother). I won't say anything more until I find out if I am actually able to contact you this way!
Bachuil

Miles Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Is this the Huberta who lived in Hopkinton and Chicago? She was incredibly kind to me as a gawky seventeen year old giving me an amazing 7 day tour of the mid west in about 1973. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

That was Huberta Livingstone, relative of Jerry Schmidt. I do not know if Huberta Matheson was named for Huberta Livingstone, or her name might have been inspired by the other Huberta. The Mathesons had moved away from Delaware County, Iowa, and I do not know how much contact they maintained with the Livingston(e)s. Her parents may have come up with the name more or less independently. Her grandfather's name was Hugh. Huberta Livingstone was born in 1905 in Iowa. Huberta Matheson was born in 1907 in South Dakota. Her parents lived the rest of their lives, apparently, on the opposite side of Iowa, in Council Bluffs.
Jared Weber

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jared Weber »

Robert Grote, my grandfather, married Betty Semin of Omaha NE.
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jared, Welcome to the Clan McLea Livingstone forum. Edith Matheson is our IOwa Matheson family expert and she is descended from Iowa Livingstons as well. Jerry Schmidt also has Iowa Livingston roots and has extenstive knowledge regarding Iowa Livingstons.
Canadian Livingstone

Hector McLean

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Elizabeth, Sorry for the belated response to your message. I would not think you would find any information on Catharine MacGilvrary or Hector McLean at Nairn, Scotland because of the fact they both came from Mull in the highlands of Western Argyll. I have a copy of list from about 1811 of those recruited by one of Lord Selkirk's agents in the Mull area that lists a number of McLeans and McGillverarys and their ages and where they originated in many cases. I dont remember if all the McGillverarys are listed
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

Thank you for the mini family tree. I am at the library because I have a slow old dial-up connection at home and the computer here is enough faster to make it worthwhile to only have a couple of hours on it a day - it keeps me from wasting all my time on the computer, too! So my specific info is at home, but off the top of my head, I can tell you - Alexander was born in the Red River Settlement 1837. Alex married Jane Holcomb; they had no children. Two siblings of Jane have connections to the Livingston family as well. James was also born in the Red River Settlement, 1838. He was on the 1860 census with the family, and that is the last I know of him. They moved to Iowa in the summer of 1840. Nancy was born in the fall of 1840. She married and had one son who died at age five and one daughter who survived and married. I do not know if she has any surviving descendants. There was a sister, Sarah, who was either just older or just younger than Hugh, I forget. She married Mary Bort's brother Eli. They had two daughters. One married and lived in Michigan briefly, in Washington State for awhile, then in San Diego, CA. As I recall, they had one son only, who had two sons. Sarah's other daughter married and had children, but died young and I could not find out what happened to her children. I believe Hugh and Mary had ten or eleven children. I'd like to compare notes with you on the others besides Aldelbert. My grandfather, John, had one daughter who died at age ten, four sons, seventeen grandchildren, and uncountable more descendants. Then there was Susan, who married but soon died, apparently childless, or maybe along with a child. And Catherine, Angus Jr. and Henry, who died as young people, and Samuel, who died in infancy. Edith
Elizabeth Campbell

Hector McLean

Post by Elizabeth Campbell »

Thank you, all, for your help on this matter. I have learned a great deal since I began searching for information on Catherine McGillivray and her family since I began family research back in 2006, and your snippets have taken me in several helpful directions. I would like to invite any of you descended from the Red River Settlement Livingstones to consider joining The Lord Selkirk Association of Rupert's Land, a society dedicated to preserving the history of the original setters (pre-1836) and their descendants. We are constantly researching and digging up new information on these people, which is available to our membership. You may find out more about us at www.lordselkirk.ca. Thank you again. Elizabeth
Elizabeth Campbell

Miles Livingstone

Post by Elizabeth Campbell »

Hello~ Just a couple of minor corrections that don't take anything away from your history, really... Owen's last name is Keveny rather than Kenevy. He took the settlers by boat from York Factory to Red River (they did need to walk over many portages along the way, though!). Finally, Donald Livingstone and the other few settlers, HBC employees and officials who did remain in Rupert's Land to return and re-establish the colony fled to Jack River rather than Fort William. It was the prisoners and colonists coerced by the NWCo. officials to head to Upper Canada that went to Fort William, the NWCo. fort near what is now Thunder Bay. If anyone descended from the Red River Settlement Livingstones would like to consider membership in The Lord Selkirk Association of Rupert's Land, I would invite you to visit our web site at www.lordselkirk.ca. TLSARL is a group of descendants dedicated to preserving the history of the original Red River Settlers (pre-1836) and their descendants. We are constantly engaged in research and are always eager to learn and share with other members! Sincerely, Elizabeth Campbell