Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
krista myrick

Miles Livingstone

Post by krista myrick »

I may not have the right person, But I am looking for a Donald clink, who was a roofer, with my Grandfather Wilbur, (bud) Bruneau, in Tacoma washington around 1957. If you are the right person please contact me at my email adress. If I hear nothing back I will leave you alonoe. Sincerely Krista Myrick"Bruneau" bnkmyrick@aol.com
Donald Livingstone Clink

Miles Livingstone

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Hi. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties getting their messages through. Two of mine, regarding my Livingstone research just vanished into thin air.
Bachuil

Miles Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Donald, This can happen if you put in the wrong email address.  I think you did that. You see as a safety line if a rogue tries to post with a false email - he gets no further! Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Donald Livingstone Clink

Miles / Maolmuire

Hi Charles, You obviously have done alot of research on your McSweeny origins. My descendant was Miles Livingstone.  I believe the family spoke some Gaelic when they came to Canada in 1812, but I dont know if Miles parents were aware when they named him of the historic significance of his name. FOr that matter I dont know who he was named after. The only other Mile or Myles I could find were two Miles or Myles Livingstones born on the Isle of Lismore in the 1700's, but I believe there were some that predate that. My Miles stated in his marriage entry in 1812 that he was born at Movern which is of course just a stones throw from the Isle of Lismore. And yes the Dunsliebhe or Dunsleeve connection is interesting, but I will leave this to Neil and Rob to figure out. I am only beginning to learn of the ancient Ulster origins of the clans of Argyll. Very Interesting though. Donald (Livingstone) Clink 
Donald Livingstone Clink

Miles Livingstone

Hi Nial, The 1779 Argyll Census lists 14 male Livingstone tenant householders and one female presumingly a widow, at Movern. There are 4 Donald Livingstones residing as tenant householders at Movern. One of those Donald's presumingly is the Donald Livingston 1728-1816 who served in the Stewarts of Appin Regiment and rescued the banner at Culloden in 1746. According to Peter McNab this Donald Livingstone is of the Benderlock Livingstones. According to the McNabs another Donald Livingstone that settled at Morvern was a brother of Neil Livingstone that settled at Ulva the grandfather of Dr.David Livingstone. As Rob stated there is a generation missing here somewhere and something is a little mixed up. The notion that part of Dr. Livingstone's family settled at Movern and the other at Ulva however fits well with the notion of my late cousin William Livingston Clink that we are related to Dr. David Livingstone. Not so long ago I was doubtfull of this, but now I am not ruling out the possibility. Dr. David Livingstone's brother John settled in Ontario,Canada, but we never had any contact with them as far as I know. I am curious though if any his decendants still reside in Ontario. In the mean time I cannot give up the notion that Miles and his family have some connection to the hero Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Movern. There are few more clues regarding Neil Livingstone b. abt. 1757/1760 his wife Ann and his Donald of Bowmore and family that settled at Red River. In one of the family letters from 1818 that Donald wrote to his father Neil he urged him to come out to Red River and mentions that he is also writing Malcolm and Donald Livingstone. Two Bowmore residents Archibald Curry and John McVicar who had been at Red RIver, Donald mentions to his father are returning to Bowmore and will be in touch with Neil. In a subsequent Livingstone family letter in 1819, John McVicar's address is given as Bowmore. The 1811 Tenants List for Islay unfortunately lists only one Livingstone and that is a Malcolm Livingstone at Gartachossan in Kilarrow Parish with neighbours Archibald McVicar and a Malcolm Currie. regards Donald  
Charles Ross

Miles / Maolmuire

Post by Charles Ross »

I very much enjoyed reading your postings, Donald. I am convinced that the use of 'Miles' by Livingstones and MacSwineys (regardless of spelling variants) as a traditional name does indicate ancestral closeness. What I want to know is whether Ewen/Owen is a similar traditional name for Livingstones and whether Miles is for the MacEwens of Otter... Good luck with all your researches! Yours aye Charles
Keith Livingstone Australia

Miles Livingstone

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Hi Donald; What an amazing saga and what a lot of research you have done! Have you done the DNA saliva test yet? One of the best ways to see if we are on close family lines is to do the 25-Loci test that rob livingstone has arranged with Family Tree DNA. I am awaiting birth records of an ancestor of mine to see if he was a Morvern or Kilninnian or Balluculish birth.
Obert L. Livingston

Miles Livingstone

Post by Obert L. Livingston »

I am looking for the father of Hugh Livingston that was born in 1844 in Ind. Hugh came to Sullivan Co, Mo. about 1866 after being discharged out of the Cival War. Hugh married Alanda Love about 1866, seven months later Hugh married Mary Jane Smith Upchurch. Hugh died in 1885 in Chariton Co. Mo. My Grandfather was William Livingston, he died in Las Vegas, New Mexico. My Great Grandfather was Hugh Livingston (above). I have no first name for my Great-Great Grandfather. I heard that he was leading a wagon train to Or. when he got sick around Ft. Laramine Wy. between 1860/1870 and married an Indian girl. We have nothing more and would appreciate any information you might have.
Geoffrey McLean

Miles Livingstone

Post by Geoffrey McLean »

I am doing some family research and was directed to your site. Inregards to the McLean family, of which i am a desendant (Hugh McLean), your names are a little different than mine. The McLeans that I have are as follows. Margeret McLean (McInnes) mother, Hector, Alexander, John, Hugh, and Mary. Their father was dead before they left Mull. Hectors wife is mentioned, however this is the first mentioning of a sister. Donald is a mysterious McLean, his name
Elizabeth Campbell

Hector McLean

Post by Elizabeth Campbell »

Hello~ I came across your posting regarding Miles Livingstone in my quest for information about Hector McLean, and, more specifically, his wife Catherine McGillivray, from whom I am descended. The information you have in your email is new to me, and I wondered if you could point me to its source. I have been unable to find their names on any ship's lists (you explain why!), and, as a result, had run into a brick wall. My understanding was that Hector died on the voyage to Canada. Catherine gave birth to their daughter shortly after arriving in Rupert's Land (I've seen the date 24 Aug., 1912 at York Factory but cannot attest to the accuracy). She became known as "the Widow of Nairn" according to family anecdote, so I've been looking for her there without success. I would be grateful for any direction you can provide. Thank you! Elizabeth Campbell