Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Edith, No worry. Elizabeth and her people have got it right regarding the Robert Taylor's departure from Sligo, Ireland on June 24th on their website. The Matheson book was published in the 70's I think.
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Edith, They went to Stromness yet again in 1813. Here are some departure dates and locations for the original servants and settlers 1. July 17, 1811 Stornoway, Isle of lewis 2. June 24,1812 Sligo, Ireland 3.June 29, 1813 Stromness, Orkneys 4.June 1815 Thurso regards, Donald
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

Hi, I missed everybody for a couple of days. Yes, I always thought the 1815 party left from Stromness, until I read The Silver Chief. It says Thurso. Edith
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Edith, Regarding the Morven, Argyllshire connection we have Miles Livingston's marriage entry from Isle of Islay, Killarrow (Bowmore) Parish Register which states that "Miles Livingston and his wife Janet Livingston both natives of Morvain and passengers on board the schooner Staffa were registered for marriage an were married and sailed for America (British North America) June 20,1812." For a few years I was in the dark regarding the Staffa until read Jean Murray Cole's book "Exile in the Wilderness" on the life of Lord Selkirk's agent Archibald McDonald. According to Cole in the spring of 1812 "Plans had been made for some of the Scottish emigrants to gather at Tobermory and to sail from there to Sligo where Lord Selkirk and a group of Irish who were to join the colony would await them. .... The sloop Staffa had been delayed and (Selkirk) waited impatiently for the last group to arrive from Tobermory. While the Irish settlers quarrelled amiably amongst themselves and jostled for bargaining positions the distracted Earl decided to appoint one of their own kinsmen, Owen Keveny to take charge of the party. By the time Archibald McDonald and his group arrived on the Staffa about eighty settlers were assembled including a number of families with small children some of them still wondering whether they had made the right decision embarking for the new colony.With the arrival of McDonald, Selkirk was cheered.It was their first meeting and all the good things he had heard about the young Scot were confirmed. On June 24 with its cargo of emigrants the Robert Taylor sailed in convoy with Hudsons Bay company ships Eddystone and King George. At the last minute Selkirk decided to hold back Archibald McDonald "that I may become better acquainted with him and that I may give him an opportunity of acquiring some branches of knowledge that will be useful." As I mentioned Archilbald McDonald was later in charge of the Sutherlandshire settlers that left for the Colony the following year. Next I will send you info on your great great great Uncle Donald Livingston and his Morven connection. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Edith, Now regarding your great-great-great Uncle Donald Livingston (1785-1876) who travelled with my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston from Isle of Islay, Scotland to the Red River Settlement in the Summer of 1812 here is the information that supports the notion that Donald was also originally from Morven, Argyllshire. It is a deposition of Donald Livingston's dated July 31,1817 in which he gives testimony to William Coltman Inquiry Comissioner regarding the disturbances which took place at the Red River Settlement in the Spring of 1815 with Duncan Cameron and the North West Company. Coltman states "The said Donald Livingston being duly sworn in the Holy Evangelists deposeth and saith that he was born at Morven in the County of Argyll in Scotland, that he came out as servant for the colony on Red River, five years ago, to work at his trade as a boatbuilder..." See Hudsons Bay Company Archives E8/6, fos.100-101 The whole deposition is quite detailed and interesting but above mentioned information is all that relates to Donald's origins. Hope this is helpful in clarifying Donald and Miles Livingston's origins at Morven. I was not aware until last year that Donald Livingston's deposition existed, so I was very excited to find that it contained info linking him to Morven which I had previously only speculated about. To have a sworn deposition from your Uncle Donald was more than I could have ever imagined possible.This has left little doubt in my mind that both our Livingston families originated at Morven before they were at the Isle of Islay.
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

Hi, Donald, Yes, that is very interesting to know, and it is very exciting to find something new and important. Thank you very much. Edith
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Edith, Mary Sommers would be interested in knowing that in that 1817 deposition of Donald Livingston he mentions being with John McVicar at the time of the Colony disturbances in 1815 by Donald Cameron and the North West Company. John McVicar a carpenter from the Isle of Islay was also mentioned in the correspondence in
edith

Miles Livingstone

Post by edith »

Hi, OK, I'll pass that along to her. Her e-mail address I had was still good the last time I tried it. Edith