Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Donald (Livingston) Clink

Miles Livingstone

Post by Donald (Livingston) Clink »

Hi Nial, Belated Happy St. Moluag's Day to you also. How are you? Glad to see the website is working again. Here are some details of my Morvern Livingston family that settled in Canada in 1812, with the assistance of Lord Selkirk of Scotland. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston born circa 1780-1790, a native of Morvern who came to Canada in the Summer of 1812 with his wife Janet Livingston as part of the second group of Scottish and Irish settlers to journey to Lord Selkirk's Red River Hudsons Bay Settlement. Lord Selkirk,a wealthy Scot,concerned with the desperate plight of the disposessed highlanders convinced the Hudsons Bay Company to allow him to establish a settlement,far south of Hudson's Bay along the Red River.He advertised in Highland Newspapers and hired recruiters to lure highlanders to settle in his colony with the promise of free farmland.He appointed Miles McDonnell of Upper Canada to be his settlement leader at Red River and sent him out with the first party in 1811. They were followed by the second party in 1812 that included my ancestor Miles Livingston and a Donald Livingston apparently travelling with him, who may have been his brother. My ancestors Miles Livingston and his wife Janet Livingston were married on June 20th 1812 at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay but both were listed in the marriage register as being natives of Morvern. Whether they and their Livingston families had lived for any length of time in Kilarrow Parish I am not able to determine.There were to be sure Livingstons living at Bowmore at that time according to the records, but how or infact whether they connect to my family originally of Morvern I do not know.  In any event, on June 20th, 1812 or perhaps a day or so later, the recently married Mr and Mrs Miles Livingston sailed aboard the Schooner "Staffa" from  Bowmore to Sligo, Ireland where they boarded the "Robert Taylor", a Hudsons Bay vessel which on June 24th with favourable winds sailed out of Sligo for the Hudsons Bay Outpost at James Bay. Selkirk had placed Owen Kenevy in charge of the settlers aboard the "Robert Taylor" which apparently was a bad decision as did little to prevent quarrels between the Scottish and Irish and Kenevy's own unpopularity with the Irish passengers eventually led to an attempted mutiny aboard the vessel.For Kenevy, the answer to any disapline related problem was to the lock the perpetrator in irons or have them beaten with clubs by other settlers aboard the ship. While the original passenger list of the "Robert Taylor", produced by Kenevy for Selkirk is lost,an apparent duplicate list survived among Selkirks letters and it lists Miles Livingston as well as a Donald Livingston and his wife Ann McGilvary whom Donald married a short time after their ship the "Robert Taylor" reached the Hudsons Bay outpost at York Factory on Hudson's Bay, but apparently prior to the second party of settlers reaching their ultimate destination of Red River, farther south in October of 1812. I have since learned that this Donald Livingston b. abt. 1786 or 1791 who may be a brother or cousin of my Miles Livingston was later joined at Selkirk's Red River settlement by his brothers James b. abt. 1795, and Hugh b. abt. 1801. Apparently this Donald Livingston, like my ancestor Miles also was at Bowmore and likely left Bowmore with Miles on the Schooner Staffa to connect with the Hudson's Bay Vessel "Robert Taylor" waiting for them at the port in Sligo, Ireland. Donald's father Neil Livingston also later joined his son Donald at the Red River settlement and from the 1832 Red River Settlement Census is appears that this Neil Livingston was born abt. 1757 probably at Morvern, Scotland. Logic tells me that this old Highlander was likely also Miles Livingston's father, but without proof he might just a well have been an Uncle. Kenevy's list of settlers certainly indicates that my ancestor Miles and this Donald Livingston were traveling together as if they were a family group. Kenevy and the second party of settlers reached York Factory on Hudson's Bay in August or September of 1812 and from there made a difficult journey by foot to the Red River, arriving at Pembina on October 27th, 1812. Delayed by bad weather, the first party under Miles Mcdonnell had only arrived a few months earlier.The settlers were given lots along the river, but the harsh winters and the hostile rivals of the Hudson's Bay Company, the North West Company and their Indian and Metis allies intimidated and coerced many of the settlers to leave the Red River and Hudsons Bay Territory for land promised them in Upper Canada, a thousand miles away. In 1814, the North West Company arrested the settlement leader Miles McDonnell and 140 settlers including Miles Livingston, his wife and two children,Nancy Ann, and Hugh were loaded into North West Company canoes for a thousand mile journey to Upper Canada. My father still can remember as boy hearing from one of his older relatives of this journey of his great grandmother Nancy Ann Livingston 1813-1880 (Mrs John Clink) as an infant with her parents and young brother across the vast expanse of wilderness lake and stream to reach their destination in Upper Canada. Mile's eldest child was Nancy Ann Livingston 1813-1880 who was born at the Red River Settlement and apparently baptised there. She married my great-great grandfather John Utter Clink 1810-1889 about 1833 in Ontario, Canada. A second child Hugh Livingston was born the following year at the settlement a few months before the family and 139 other settlers were coerced to leave the settlement in 1814 by North West Company Canoes for Upper Canada (Ontario). Other children John b. 1818, and  Daniel b. 1820 or 1821 followed all born after Miles and family had settled in UPper Canada. While the Hudson's Bay's rival soon burnt the settlement building and forced out the remaining few holdouts, Donald Livingston and some of the others that had been dispersed by the North West Company did not leave the area altogether, apparently  seeking safe sanctuary at Fort William on Lake Winnipeg. After Selkirk heard of the North West Company having destroyed his settlement at Red River, he promptly sailed to Canada and organised a party of soldiers to journey to the Red River and arrest those of the North West Company responsible for the demise of his Red River Settlement and by 1816 Donald Livingston and the remaining Red River settlers housed at Fort William reestablished their settlement. Despite further troubles and some bloodshed with local INdians and Metis, the Norhwest Company and the Hudsons Bay Company a few years later merged and the settlement at Red River was able to prosper. While my Miles Livingston left the Red River River Settlement for Upper Canada (province of Ontario, Canada) in 1814,Donald Livingston, his two brothers, and his father Neil lived there into the 1830's. By about 1840, Donald Livingston and his family went to Scotch Grove,Jones County, Iowa. His father the elderly Neil Livingston b. abt. 1757 who was alive in 1832 at Red River likely died a few years after that 1832 Census and likely was buried at Red River. I dont know what became of his brother James Livingston yet, but I received information not too long ago that Hugh Livingston Sr., the above mentioned brother Hugh Livingston left Red River Settlement and also settled in Iowa arriving first about 1837 in Delaware County, Iowa. Hugh had married Isabelle Rose in 1830 at the Red River Settlement. Miles Livingston, my great-great-great grandfather settled in Esquesing Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada in the 1820's and the last record of him in 1842 in Ontario indicates he at the town of Acton, in Esquesing Township with his younger son Daniel and Miles is employed there as a barrel maker. There is no record of Miles in the  1861 Census, so it is likely that he died sometime between 1842 and 1861 in Esquesing Township, Halton County, Ontario. His wife Janet died sometime prior to 1842 in Esquesing Township. Daniel was a millright and likely found work at the mills at Acton. He married Elizabeth Massales in Esquesing Township on January 13, 1847 with my great-great grandfather John Utter Clink,Daniel's brother in law as a witness. Daniel and family lived in the Acton area until about 1875 when he sold his property and moved to Saginaw,Michigan where he continued his trade as a millwright. Brother John Livingston b. 1818 married Joan Livingston of another Livingston family unrelated that had settled in the Esquesing Township area by about 1853. A few years later John and family left Esquesing Township before 1861 for Bosanquet Township Lambton County, Ontario where some of the Clinks also had settled. John Livingston died on July 28, 1895 and is buried in Arkona Cemetery, Warwick Township, Lambton County Ontario.  His wife Joan sold the farm by 1898 and she, a son Hugh and a daughter Catharine settled in Michigan.  Regarding the more distant origins of Miles Livington's Morvern family,nothing much is known. My father's cousin the late William Livington Clink speculated that we were somehow related to Dr David Livingston. He had no proof I dont think. It is interesting that David's ancestor Neil did make his way to Morvern according one account, though he apparently did not remain their after the revolt in 1745. My cousin did not know that this Donald Livingston who apparently travelled on the Robert Taylor to Canada with our Miles Livington also had a father named Neil Livington. I am sure if he did know that, he would have considered that strong evidence we might have some family connection to Dr. Livingstons family. I myself can not and will not say one way or another as there is no definite proof. Again I also wonder if my Miles Livingston born between 1780 and 1790 at Movern had any family connnection to the famous Donald Livingston who rescued the Stewart of Appin banner and who is buried at Movern. My father understood that Miles ancestor probably was at the Battle of Culloden and fought for Bonnie Prince Charlie, but he no other information from relatives here in Canada. My research while difficult has been far from a waste of time as I have located the marriage record for Miles and Janet Livingston at Bowmore in 1812 which even mentions a voyage to "America" in June of 1812 following their marriage. Also an archivist at the Hudson Bay Company Archives was very helpful in sending me detailed info on the Donald Livingston that traveled with Miles Livingston aboard the Robert Taylor and journeyed to the Red River Settlement. I am sensing from other letters posted and my own research that there are many of us who are lost as to their more distant Livingston connections. We know we are connected to these more ancient Movern/Mull Livingstons but how? There is a Census or Assessment from the 1770's for Movern which lists a number of Donald, Hughs and Neils one of which is almost certainly Miles Livingston's father, grandfather or other kin. If I only knew which one. Hope this info is of some help to Livingstons looking for their lost ancestors. sincerely yours, Donald Clink      
Bachuil

Dr David Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Donald, Do you have any idea why your ancestor had the name Miles? I have a particular interest in asking, but I don't want to lead your response.  I shall tell why later. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Rod MacQuarrie

Miles Livingston

Post by Rod MacQuarrie »

Hi Donald,   Just a quick note to advise that a perusal of the Selkirk Papers, available in twenty rolls of microfilm from the National Archives of Canada, might repay the effort in further understanding of the Livingstons who sailed to Hudson's Bay.  I examined them myself a number of years ago, making notes and putting what I could find about all the Selkirk settlers into a spreadsheet.  I can tell you what I found about Miles Livingston, from memory and from the spreadheet, but can't confirm most items without digging into my notes.   1) Born about 1775, not 1780-1790.  I'm pretty certain of this.  Although there's no passenger list for the Robert Taylor, the Selkirk Papers does contain a list of potential settlers recruited by Charles McLean and also a list of the settlers who went by boat and canoe from York Factory to Red River in 1812, both of which give ages.   2) Married to Janet McLean, b. abt 1786, daughter of Hector McLean and Margaret McInnis of Mull.  I can't be so certain of this, and it seems to be contradicted by the marriage record you've seen.  You may be the best judge whether married surnames may have been used instead of maiden surnames in this parish register.  The SP entries, by the way, indicate that both Miles and Janet were from Mull, not Islay, but Miles being from Islay and Janet from Mull doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch.   3) Donald Livingston Jr (a Donald Livingston Sr also sailed on the Robert Taylor), born about 1794, was said to be a son, not a brother, of Miles Livingston.  Donald Livingston Jr was contracted not as a settler but as a HBCo servant,  and he honoured his contract through the troubles of 1815 and 1816. He left York Factory for home on Oct. 1, 1816, but his ship, the Prince of Wales, was unable to traverse the ice-choked Hudson's Straits, so Donald was obliged to spend the winter of 1816-1817 on Charlton Island, James Bay.   4) Jess Livingston, b. abt 1796, may have been another son of Miles Livingston, but I don't think I came across a direct statement of that.   5) I found nothing that indicated the relationship of Miles Livingston to Neil Livingston and his children.   6) Miles' daughter Anne was baptized Oct 17, 1813, and his son Hugh on Dec 4, 1814, both by Miles Macdonell and both at Fort Daer (modern Pembina, North Dakota).  They were newborns, but there is no indiation in Macdonell's journals of precise birthdates.   7) Miles and Janet and their two children left Red River in the NWCo canoes on June 7, 1815, apparently with some reluctance.  They arrived at Holland River, Upper Canada, on Sept. 6, 1816.    Rod
Bachuil

Miles Livingston

Post by Bachuil »

Rod, Thank you very much for that information. I am very interested in the name Miles.  The reason being that a long time ago my father mentioned our ancestor John McMolmore Vic Kevir (who is mentioned in the 1544 charter of confirmation) to an old Gaelic speaker and history buff on the Isle of Lismore. Some suggest that this translates to John son of' Maolmoire son of Ivar but his (the Gaelic Scholar) immediate reaction was that this translated to John the son of Miles, the son of Henry. As names run in families I was very excited to see the name 'Miles'! Once again, many thanks for this input. Kind regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Bachuil

Miles Livingston

Post by Bachuil »

Andrew, I am afraid names don't translate - but I have just had an off line correspondence with Charles Ross. He says "Actually, the genealogy of my (maternal) grandfather MacSwiney was researched by Robin Mirlees (former Richmond Herald, who now lives on Barra I believe). The name Miles or Maolmuire (Mulmurry) is a typical MacSwiney name as indeed you probably know. " I have asked him to post the thread for everyone's benefit. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Charles Ross

Miles / Maolmuire

Post by Charles Ross »

Dear Niall, I post the following from our private correspondence with some additions and subtractions for general interest.... Yes, of course we are cousins! A swift look at the end-paper of the great Ilk's "The Highland Clans" will show the Dunsleve descent (which you probably have off by heart) and more closely, the descent through Suibhne or rather Maolmuire. Actually, the genealogy of my (maternal) grandfather MacSwiney was researched by Robin Mirlees (formerly Richmond Herald, who now lives on Barra I believe). The name Miles or Maolmuire (Mulmurry) is a typical MacSwiney name as indeed you probably know. My MacSwiney forbears were the branch that moved from Ulster to Munster and entered the service of the MacCarthy kings as gallowglasses (the other two branches stayed in Ulster). My grandfather understood (oral tradition) that he was the chief(tain) of the branch that moved from Ulster to Munster. His father had emigrated to France so he was born & educated in France. He moved "back" to Ireland before WWI when he left the Papal diplomatic corps. At some point in the 1980's my mother's brother (by then 2nd Marquis) and his wife made the acquaintance of Terence MacCarthy (MacCarthy Mor, soi-disant) and were admitted to the Niadh Nasc.(!) My uncle died in 1986 (his only son, my cousin Patrick, predeceased him by a year, so this line has now died out in the male line) and so it was that my aunt lived to experience the TMacC exposure. Well before then, however, my uncle had transferred his ownership of Mashanaglass Castle (a ruin) to Terence. The idea was that a MacCarthy stronghold held for them by the MacSwiney gallowglasses should, ca. 400 years later, return to the hands of the MacCarthy Mor ( a certain romanticism was no doubt in the air and why not!). Terence subsequently erected a plaque of commemoration to my deceased uncle and cousin Patrick in an elegant ceremony at Doe Castle. I corresponded with Terence after my uncle's death at the end of the 1980's on a number of historical MacSwiney clan matters. At any rate, what seems to me to be absolutely clear is that you (paternally) and I (maternally) are clearly cousins through Maolmuire. The MacSuibhne descent goes through a number of Malmurys and somewhere in the late 1400's the name Owen came in alternating with Donnell to Owen 'Hogy' (?Og) MacSwiney confirmed in his lands 1612. His son also Owen was dispossessed in 1642. We descend from his brother Daniel who apparently regained some of the lost lands; Daniel's son & grandson were now called Miles. It makes no sense in my view to see Miles as anything but the continuation of the name Maolmuire. The name consistency over these 26 generations from Suibhne to my mother is very marked, the early ones being Morough, Torlough,Malmury (or variant)and later Owen & Miles. Though I have not discussed this question elsewhere, we always understood it so and as you can imagine, I was most interested to see the name Miles in the very closely related Livingstones. In my view not a coincidence. What would be interesting to know is whether Maolmuire/Miles also occurs with the MacEwens of Otter who descend (according to Sir Iain's chart) from Maolmuire's brother Dugall. Given this common descent, it does not surprise me to find  Owen/Eoin/Ewen among the MacSwineys either. Does Eoin or variant occur among the Livingstones? Kindest regards Charles
Andrew Lancaster5

Miles Livingstone

Post by Andrew Lancaster5 »

Dear Donald A Y DNA test might add one more component of evidence in the puzzle we all have in putting the Scottish roots back together. Have you already joined Rob Livingstone's project? For example, it might very quickly resolve the question of whether your first 2 immigrants were really brothers (or otherwise paternally related). Best Regards Andrew
Donald (Livingston) Clink

Miles Livingstone

Post by Donald (Livingston) Clink »

Greetings, Nial, Alistair and all of the McLea/Livingstones.The story of your family is truly facinating and I hope someday to make a trip to Lismore.This letter is essentially an update of my earlier story of my Movern/Bowmore Livingstones. Please note that Miles Livingstone left the Selkirk Settlement in what is today Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada for Upper Canada in 1815 not 1814 as I had previously stated. Sorry about that. Miles Livingston, my great-great-great grandfather was born around 1780 at Morvern,Argyleshire according to his marriage record. His father was either Neil Livingstone abt.1757/60-1840 or a Donald Livingstone Sr.of Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay. I believe when my Livingstones lived at Bowmore they  attended the old round church and Mile's 1812 marriage record, before he left for Canada, originates from that church. The scenario as I see it is that Mile's father and some other Livingstone kin left their home in one of the coastal towns of Movern in the 1780's or early 1790's and settled at Bowmore in the Isle of Islay. Their landlord I assume was the 5th Duke of Argyll, John Campbell and I probably the family lived a subsistence life at Movern and went to Bowmore because there was work there.We know that Donald Livingstone b. 1791 acquired a knowledge of shipbuilding while living at Bowmore and that Miles Livingstone was a cooper. What the family roots were before  Movern is not known, but one assumes they have some ancient family connection with the MacLeays-Livingstones of Lismore and Appin. The Morvern Parish records are not helpful as the surviving entries begin about 1803,so there was no baptismal record for Miles there. Other than Miles Livingston 1812 marriage entry, no other Miles Livingsons are mentioned. The Lismore records however indicate that there was an earlier Myles Livingston and his wife Mary McArthur at Baillegarth circa 1760's 1770's living near Bachul. Also a Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell were the parents of a Myles Livingstone born 1775 farther south at Cloichlea. My Miles Livingstone was no doubt named after some kinsman either from Morvern or perhaps Lismore. I would imagine that some of the Livingstone children born in years following Culloden, may have been named after their Livingstone kin that were at the Battle.There certainly are a lot of Donald Livingstones in the records to be sure. Miles as I mentioned in my previous note left Bowmore with his new bride Janet Livingstone aboard the schooner "Staffa" which reached Sligo, IReland where the Hudson's Bay Company vessel "RObert Taylor" was awaiting them and other settlers. On June 24th, 1812 the "Robert Taylor" set sail for Hudson's Bay and the port at York Factory. From there the party was to travel by small boats on a 800 mile journey south to the forks of the Red River where Selkirk's settlement leader Miles MCDonnell was to establish a settlement. On board the "Robert Taylor" accompanying Miles and his wife Janet from Bowmore were Donald Livingstone (1791-1876)son of Neil Livingstone b.1757/1760 of Bowmore and Ann. Also a Donald Livingstone Jr. and his sister Jessie. Our Bowmore Livingstones were no doubt living as marginal farmers, but were at least able to supplement their incomes with carpentry, barrel and ship building experience. No doubt, Selkirk was pleased that the recruiter in Argylshire had found settlers with such skills. Two supply ships accompanied the "RObert Taylor" unfortunately loaded with more of Selkirk's merino sheep than with the neccessary supplies for the harsh life the settlers were to face when they arrived. Another family group that were travelling aboard the "Robert Taylor" were the McLeans of some means from Mull including prominent settler, Alexander McLean of Kengharair in Northern Mull, who had been promised a large land grant, merino sheep and some assistance for one year if he would settle at Red River. They had travelled from Tobermory by schooner to Sligo Ireland, where they connected with the "Robert Taylor" in June of 1812.Other McLean family members included Hector McLean,his wife Catharine McGillveray, Hugh McLean and Donald McLean. The McLeans were an old Scottish family that at one time owned most of Mull.Selkirk had inticed the McLeans to come to his settlement, with the promise of a substantial land grant at Red RIver.With this party was an ANne McGillveray of Mull whose sister Catharine was married to Hector McLaine. The "Robert Taylor" arrived at the fort at York Factory, Hudsons Bay Territory on August 26th,1812. On the 5th or 6th of September,1812 Anne Macgillveray and Donald Livingstone son of Neil Livingston were married a few days before the settlement party left York Factory for the REd River.McLeans and McGillverays were old families from Mull and Movern who had supported the Jacobites and particpated in the Battle of Culloden as did our Livingstone clan.  The"RObert Taylor" reached York Factory on Hudson's Bay in August of 1812, after sustaining much damage and nearly sinking from the ice flows the ship encountered as it neared Hudson's Bay.There were frequent quarrels among the Scottish and IRish settlers aboard the ship and the leader of the settlers, Owen Kenevy narrowly prevented a mutiny.To break the monotony of the voyage, there were one or two aboard who had brought along their bagpipe and lots of time to sing the old Scottish songs.After an arduous journey by small boat by river, the second party including Miles and Donald Livingstone arrived at the forks of the Red RIver on October 27,1812 where they met up with settlement leader Miles Mcdonnell. Miles and Janet Livingstone's eldest child Nancy ANn Livingston was born in 1813 and baptised by Red RIver settlement leader Miles Mcdonnell, as there was neither a Presbyterian or established Church of England minister present. Nancy, my great-great grandmother would have been one of the first european and Scottish children to have been born at Hudsons Bay Territory and one of the first born at Lord Selkirk's REd River settlement.Miles and Donald were the first McLea-Livingstones to settle in what years later became Western Canada.  My ancestor Miles Livingstone, his wife Janet Livingstone (probably a cousin) and his two children Nancy Ann Livingston (Mrs John Clink) and Hugh Livingstone left Lord Selkirk's Red River settlement at present day Winnipeg,Manitoba, Canada in 1815 not 1814 as I had earlier stated.They travelled by fur trader's canoe that summer in what must of been a hellish 1000 mile canoe trip along wilderness rivers and lakes before arriving in September in Upper Canada (Ontario). Donald Livingstone b.1791 the son of Neil Livingstone did not accompany Miles to Upper Canada and instead toughed it out in the Hudsons Bay Territory and through thick and thin helped to rebuild the settlement at Red RIver that had been destroyed by a rival fur trading company shortly after the settlement leader Miles McDonnell and a party of settlers including Miles Livingston were compelled to leave the settlement in 1815. Donald Livingston was there to greet Lord Selkirk when he arrived in 1817 to assist the remaining settlers in their efforts to rebuild at Red RIver. In 1819, Donald Livingstone was joined by his father Neil Livingstone, his mother Anne and several brothers and sisters at the Red River settlement.By this time his son is employed by the Hudsons Bay Company at Red River as a boat builder. Surviving letters written by Neil Livingston from Bowmore to Lord Selkirk indicate his desire to settle with the rest of his family at Red River in 1819.Accompanying him were James, Hugh, Flora, Kathy, Duncan and young John. Neil received a grant of land with his son Donald to farm, but also apparently worked as a joiner and cartwright. Most of Donald Livingstone's family that came with the father in 1819 ended up by about 1840 in the state of Iowa with Donald Livingstone and other highlanders from the Red River settlement. Miles Livingstone remained in Ontario,Canada,settling at Acton,Esquesing Township, Halton County where he died sometime between 1842 and 1860.My ancestors, Miles Livingston's decendants now reside in Ontario,Canada and Michigan,USA. Hope the update is of some interest to your readers. Regards Donald(Livingstone)Clink 
Bachuil

Miles Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Donald, Thank you for sharing that - much to take in and I have just had a quick glance. One observation though.  Islay is still famous for it's whisky  - and that is stored in barrels - which require coopers - so he may have learnt his trade on Islay. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea