Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jerry, Absolutely, Hugh's Parents Neil and Ann Livingstone came from Argyleshire. There is no question of that. For one thing there is surviving correspondence in 1818 between son Donald and Neil urging Neil and the family to join him at the Red River Settlement. The following year the entire family including sons James and Hugh arrived as indicated in the Prince of Wales passenger list that you mentioned. Donald as you recall had come to the Red RIver settlement as a young man with two older Livingston boatbuilders my ancestor Miles Livingstone and his older brother Donald Livingston JR. While our Livingstones moved about seeking work, the letters indicate that your family had been living for a number of years on the Isle of Islay, but it is my understanding that Neil and my ancestor Miles both originated at Movern in Argyleshire before settling on the Isle of Islay where they lived at the time they left for British North America. Hugh may have been born at Movern where Neil probably originated, but also possible that the family had by 1801 settled on the Isle of Islay somewhere near the port of Bowmore and that is where he was born. Its one or the other almost certainly. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Jerry

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jerry »

Donald, I don't want to beat a dead horse but did you notice "Lilly Livingstone's" headstone on the website
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Jerry, Yes there is a great deal of interest in the Red River Settlers I have noticed among their descendants in Iowa. Check out Manitoba Historical Society's website. They have included a great article from 1977 which discusses in great detail the history of the Red River settlers in Jones County, Iowa and talks about your ancestor Hugh Livingstone and the other family members that settled there. regards, Donald Livingstone Clink
Jerry

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jerry »

Donald, I can't thank you enough for you mentioning that website.
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Jerry, Lots of information in that article on the Red River Livingstones that settled in Iowa. Glad I could be of some assistance. I am sure the Manitoba Historical Society will appreciate your support. They have a great website with lots of articles. This is where I found the Red River surveyors journal from 1814 that mentions that lumber to build my ancestor Miles Livingston's house had arrived. It was burnt to the ground the following summer and Miles and his family were forced to flee to Upper Canada. I suspect that after the settlement was eventually recontsructed that Donald Livingston, his father Neil or one of the brothers occupied the lot that had originally been granted to my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone. The Livingstones were all located along the Red River at Point Douglas in what is today the City of Winnipeg, Manitoba. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Jerry, I can pretty much confirm that Neil, his sons James, Hugh, John and Duncan and family left the Kilarrow Parish area in 1819 for Red River. Refering to a letter written by Hugh's brother James Livingstone on October 18, 1824 to his brother in law in Jura, SCotland he states in describing his farm at Red River that he "wod not exchinge with the best farmer that I left in persh of kilmeny this day. This is an obvious reference to Kilmeny described the Topographical Dictionary of SCotland (1846) as a "large quoad sacra parish in the parish of Kilarrow, district of Islay, County of Argll." More recently it is refered to as united parish of Kilmeny and Kilroot. The port of Bowmore that I have mentioned in connection to Miles Livingstone was in Kilarrow Parish.That being said it is probable that Neil and his sons lived somewhere between Bowmore and Ballygrant. Old Kilmeny church is near Ballygrant, but I understood from one source that Neil and family attended the old Round Church which still stands at Bowmore. Other documents in the Selkirk Papers and in the Manitoba Archives may someday shed further light as to where the family was living in the early 1800's on the Island of Islay. One of the letters from 1818 I think was set to or from Neil Livingstone from Bowmore on the Island of Islay. And as I mentioned my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone was married at Bowmore in 1812 a few days before he left the Island of Islay with
Jerry

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jerry »

I'm thoroughly convinced now.
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Hi Jerry, Well the Round Church which your relative is referring to you is none other than the old Round Church at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay which one source apparently stated your ancestor Neil Livingstone and family attended. Do a search and you will invariably find some photos of the old church. It is considered a tourist site on the Island of Islay.
Bachuil

Miles Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Is this the Huberta who lived in Hopkinton and Chicago? She was incredibly kind to me as a gawky eighteen year old giving me an amazing 7 day tour of the mid west in about 1972. Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Jerry

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jerry »

Niall, Yes, the very same Huberta.