Trying to find family

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
David Wyse Livingston1

Trying to find family

Post by David Wyse Livingston1 »

Hello, my name is David Wyse Livingston born in Manchester, NH in 1970. My father is Alexander Hutchison Livingston, I believe he was born in Stirling Scotland (possibly Glasgow). His Brother was Jonathan Livingston. I am named after my Grandfather David Wyse Livingston(e). I have a watch he recieved from a company in Stirling Scotland when he left in 1948 it has his named spelled Livingstone. Until recently I did not know that when he got to Ellis Island with his wife, my grandmother, Catherine Gwynn, and two sons they removed the E off his name as was custom for most families coming through Ellis Island where they had there name butchered. Both my Grandparents have passed on, as has my Uncle John. I am not certain about my father Alex as I have not spoken with him in nearly 20 years and do not know his whereabouts. I am currently looking for anyone that may get me in touch with family. I am looking to become a sort of pen pal learning about my heritage. I know nothing about any family member before my grandparents as I've said it has only been recent that I stopped looking for LIVINGSTON in Scotland and started looking for LIVINGSTONE. Thank you, David Wyse Livingston
Bachuil

Trying to find family

Post by Bachuil »

David, Welcome to our forum.  I am afraid there have been a few problems with the software recently and it may be a while before people venture back. The spelling with or without the e is unimportant.  Goods luck with your quest. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
David Wyse Livingston1

Trying to find family

Thank you Niall, I look forward to my quest and hope getting the Clan recognized in the Highland games is going well. I am unusre if I can help at this time but would like to be involved if at all possible. Sincerely, David
Charles Ross

Trying to Find Family

Post by Charles Ross »

Dear David Wyse Livingston Have you seen http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/histo ... Essay.html Most families did not have their names altered; I would be interested to know what information you have that the "e" was in fact removed by officials on Ellis Island. Best regards Charles
Kyle2 MacLea

Trying to find family

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Interesting!  I can't help with finding Livingston/e relatives for you, but I think there are enough folks who read this forum that perhaps the names you give will ring a bell! As a side note, I'm a little bit younger than you but I grew up in Londonderry -- not too far from you if you stayed around in Manchester!  =) Anyway, good luck in the quest.  Though the McLea/MacLea and Livingston/e families had a certain interchangeability of names, I have not yet found any relatives that went by Livingston/e at any point in my genealogy work to about 1800... Good luck! Kyle=
D.W.Livingston

Trying to Find Family

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Charles,    My first inclination was a watch my Grandfather got from a company he worked for in Stirling dated in 1948 and has his name etched into the back with Livingstone (it was a going away present before he left for America). I now have the watch (somewhere in storage) and I'll tell the group the company when I unpack the watch. =)    I thought it was a typo (I recieved it when he died and I was only 14) but years later my older half sisters informed me about the changing of the name and that Livingstone was the correct spelling. I am not sure if they came through Ellis island or another port but they did come over by boat and settled in to Manchester NH.   On a side note my Grandmothers name was Katherine Gwynne. So I am just adding to my tale and maybe someone can help further with this puzzle.=) Thank you, David Wyse Livingston
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Charles Ross

Trying to Find Family

Post by Charles Ross »

Hallo David, It is a simple matter to get your father's and grandfather's birth certificates from Scotland (not expensive either). That will give you a lot of information and then you will be able to get on with your family research taking you maybe 200 years or more further back; you will be able to see where your folk came from and how they spelled their name - though as Young Bachuil said, the 'e' is not important. I would bet that 'Hutchison' is a maiden name in your family - I have a Hutchison ancestor too by the way! I wish you good luck - let us know how you get on! Kind regards Charles
David Wyse Livingston1

Trying to Find Family

I have found my grandfather's watch. The inscription states. "Presented to DAVID LIVINGSTONE from Fallin Quoiting Club Jan 1948." I'll look into what that organization is and keep the forum posted.
Charles Ross

Trying to Find Family

Post by Charles Ross »

Fallin was a mining village (see www.fallin-future.org) - was your grandfather connected with mining? Quoits was a very popular game back then.
David Wyse Livingston1

Fallin Scotland

Thank you for the link. I did a search and found it was very close to Stirling but didn't see that link before. I am not sure if he was into mining before coming to the United States but thinking back I can picture him doing it. My father was a Mason, and I thought he learned it from my Grandfather but that could just be what he did when he got to the US. I will look into it and keep the forum posted. Thank you, David