Trying to find family

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

More information about my Family

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Ok, a little update from the last time I did this for my immediate family, and a question for those historians out there. Last I wrote I ended with my relatives: John Livingston - Great Great Grandfather
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I'd say there is indeed a good chance that you have your man. Have you looked at the original document (or a scan)? You might find that it is just a modern transcription error. Dull is interesting because it is mentioned in the "Account" we have mentioned before. You might be related to Kyle! On the other hand it is not all that far from where my Livingstones come from in Angus. Once more I'd like to encourage you to join the DNA project! Concerning finding small places, try http://www.multimap.com/ BUT 1. Do not rely on the search function. There is more information in the maps that does not get searched for. 2. Try using the ordinance survey format. I guess BTW that whatever Glenquach became, it would have started as a geographical feauture - valley or dale. Best Regards Andrew
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Found it. Glen Quaich is the valley which contains Loch Freuchie, quite a bit to the south of Dull, but perhaps still in the parish. (I think Dull is a big parish.) Regards Andrew
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

So it is either 1.) he changed his name from John to James, which I find highly unlikely. 2.)he would be married at the age of 13, which again I find highly unlikely, or 3.) James father John moved to the Parish of Dull from some other location, most likely in the highlands between 1785-1806. My gggg grandfather John was recorded on later death certificates of his children as James Livingstone. So who knows?
Barry Fallance

Fallin Scotland

Post by Barry Fallance »

hi daniel , my grandfather was ross fallance and worked as a miner in cowie,my father was born in stirling in 1939 and grew up in cowie. both have passed away but i do remember dad telling me he had a uncle( james ? ) move to the states,i also remember the name Carlin being mentioned. our family emigrated to australia in 1967 but his sister Grace is alive living in cowie,ii have visited and keep in regular contact with my cousins scattered aroung the uk, please contact me and will try to give you what i know and contacts for your family tree cheers barry fallance