Trying to find family

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

More information about my Family

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I just wanted to let everyone know I found more information about my Grand father recently. He was born Sept 15,1910 to Agnes Pryde Livingstone (She may have been Agnes Pryde Livingstone Robb at the time). Agnes had been married to William Robb, a coalminer who died August 6,1909. So doing the math it appears that William Robb wasn't the father. I do not know who my Great Grandfather(GGF) is but think with the naming convention his last name would have been Wyse, and most likely a coalminer as well. Later in her life she married another coalminer, James Hutchison, who my father Alexander Hutchison takes his middle name from. So now I look for any information on Agnes Pryde Livingstone around the 1880 - 1900, living in or around Fallin. Does anyone know if it would be possible to look up names of miners in Fallin, around the 1910 time frame with the last name Wyse... I could possibly find who my GGF is. Also if anyone has an Agnes Pryde Livingstone in their family past (great aunt or something) I would love to hear about that. :)
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I know the information is slow coming but just another Livingston looking for answers. I do plan on doing the DNA testing but I am getting more sure I am of the lowland Livingstone. This is what was found for me from a wonderful woman in Scotland. Agnes Pryde Livingstone - dob 19 Nov 1891 @ 9 Leslie Place, Shottstown, Penicuik -- Parents; John Livingstone/Marion Pryde married in 16 June 1862 @ Cranston -> So it appears that Agnes might be the youngest of her siblings or is took nearly 30 years of marriage to concieve. I have no documentation as of yet to confirm the dates, but if anyone has relatives of John Livingstone and Marion Pryde I would appreciate assistance. :) Agnes married William Robb
David Wyse Livingston
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

That your 19th century ancestors were in the lowlands does not indicate that they were from there originally. Don't forget that the highlands had a turbulent history which led to much more movement of people from their home areas than is normal in other parts of Britain and Europe. My own Livingstones come from the lowlands, but have 2 close McClay matches presumably showing that their ancient ancestry is highland. Actually, one of the aims of the DNA study as a whole will be to see whether there is any truth to the theory that there are any truly distinct lowland families within the Livingstone surname, and if so how many. Don't forget that the theory that lowland Livingstones were a seperate family is a modern theory that is not built on any particularly strong evidence. I presume there will be at least some Livingstones who descend from people who lived in that lowland town, or had some association with it. But concerning the aristocratic family associated with it, if it is true that they descend from the original Living who named the town, then the question would be whether Living was really an Anglo Saxon Leofwin or was he a Gaelic speaking Dun Sleibhe (which had a diminutive which was also pronounced something like Living), and possibly a Maclea (or whatever a Maclea would have been called in those times). Best Regards Andrew
Bachuil

A very strong tie with Livingston's in general

Post by Bachuil »

Dear David, a very strong tie with Livingston's in general is the very crux of the matter. Highland or Lowland matters little.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Thank you Sir, your words mean a lot to me. I feel that some day we will find the "missing piece" between the two clans. I have read the link and suggestion anyone who hasn't to take a moment to read through it. There must be some connection. Thank you once again. David
David Wyse Livingston
Andrew Lancaster4

Dear David The DNA project may be the only way we can approach the question of the connection between highlanders and lowlanders. Someone with a family tree back to Perth, which straddles highlands and lowlands, could be very important to the project. I hope you'll consider joining? Best Regards Andrew
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I would like to join the DNA project. I am not sure what it will provide as my Grand father kept the last name of my Maternal Great Grand Mother's family and he was born out of wedlock. I believe if the DNA test is strictly Paternal then it will branch to the "unknown" Great Grand Father, who is most likely a Wyse not a Livingston(e). Let me know if I am incorrect in my thinking of how it works please. Thank You. David
David Wyse Livingston
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

You are correct, David.
Andrew Lancaster4

Interesting! It is in fact amazing how many such cases I have heard of now. I have had to start thinking of developing a policy (which all of you may comment on, as I am as it were a steward). My proposal is that anyone whose family has become an established Livingstone or MacLea family, now passing on the name, has a right to be in the project, even if the name comes at some point through a female. You must keep in mind that many people in your position simply have not got the knowledge of their ancestors to know about the surname change. One day a cousin of yours might join the project for example and not know his surname came through female descent. If we could go far enough back perhaps most of our families have at one point or another inherited the name through a mother. In the end it is up to the participant. But it is handy to know that you can be a member of both a Livingstone and a Wyse DNA project (if there is one) without causing anyone any problems or costs. Best Regards Andrew
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Andrew, And here I thought you had read my thread of connection through my Great Grand Mother BEFORE you wrote your thread on Bloodline: http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=2096 and that you were writing it mostly for me. :) I will be participating in the DNA Project pretty soon then. Thank You Again. David
David Wyse Livingston