Date of Livingstone stone with family crest at Keil Cemetery

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

The cemetery stone with the worn Livingstone or Maconlea crest states that is was erected by Donald Livingstone in 1760 for his parents at Keil Cemetery, Movern. Obviously the stone is that old and if one reasonably assumes the decoratively inclosed information on the stone was carved in 1760 the year the stone was completed for the burial of Donald's father,then there is one more clue in addition to nearby Island of Lismore parish records from the 1750's that the name change to Livingstone from Maclea or Maconlea possibly took place sometime between 1750 and 1760. The photo was kindly submitted to me by a member of the McInnes family whose family was from Movern and I passed it on to the Niall Livingstone. The photo is in the forum gallery and if your eyes are good you can make out some of the information on the stone including the date 1760.
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I was researching some items of Livingstone history and came upon "The Celtic Monthly from 1896." it told the story of the Battle of Culloden and I will have the links in another thread but an interesting part talked about a cemetery stone. "* Being desirous of reproducing in the Celtic Monthly a photograph of the stone covering the remains of this gallant clansman, we applied to Mrs. Stuart of Dalness, but found that a photo was not to be had. This lady, however, kindly procured for us, from the Rev. Donald Macfarlane, Minister of Morven, a copy of the inscription upon the ancient stone of the Livingstones in the Churchyard of morven, whch is as follows: - 'Here lyes the corps of John Livingstone who dyed in the year 1757 aged 57 years. this tomb is intended also for the remains of Anna MacInnes his spouse. This stone was erected by Donald Livingstone their son.' Mr. Macfarlane adds that the Donald Livingstone who erected the tombstone was standard bearer at Culloden, but there is no separate stone or inscription to his memory. The stone is in an excellent state of preservation. At the top is the Livingstone coat of arms, well sculptured. underneath the inscription a skull, hour glass and trumpet are represented. There are lineal descendants of the Livingstones still surviving. Dr. Livingstone, the traveller, was related to him."
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Thats great. I think DOnald McINnes may have sent that same info to me at the time I got the photo, but it is filed away somewhere. I shall print this out right away. Those incriptions on thes stone are just for the parents and the monument was erected for his parents by Donald after the death of his mother. Now I remember his father died as you say in 1757 and his mother Ann McInnes died in 1760. I think that is how it goes. So this definitely suggests that Donald and his Movern Livingstones in line with their Isle of Lismore neighbours had made the name change sometime between 1750 and 1760. The earliest clan tartan book we have here in Toronto published in the 1830's has a write up on Stewart of Appin but mentioned that a "Maconleigh" rescued the Appin regimental banner at the Battle of Culloden. In context this book was published only a couple of decades after Donald Livingstone of Savary, Movern had died. And memories among the some of the remaining older highlanders would still be good for the purposes of the author of this book. And a casualty report I have recorded by one of the Jacobite Captains for Charles Edward Stuart circa 1746/1747 report 4 Maconleas killed. THen there is a 1750 list of landowners I think it was in Argyll that records the Baron at the time as a Maconlea or McLea rather than Livingstone. But then in the Island of Lismore Parish records the first baptismal entries for our clan in the late 1750's are entered as Livingstone. From this information I have maintained a personal view for some time that sometime between 1750 and 1760 was the likely time when the name of the clan became Livingstone. The cemetery stone you mentioned really clinches for me.
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

The commemorative stone from Culloden, 1746, for residents of Appin and Argyll, was moved from Culloden to a small parish church (now run down, very close to Appin). I photographed this plaque, set into the wall of the now derelict church building, nearly 5 years ago. It referred to the fallen from local families. From memory, under Livingstone, it said -Livingstones, or MacLeas, 4-. It's still there, as I didn't prise it out with my pocket knife.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Keith, I am glad you were able to resist the temptation to take that MacLea/Livingstone monument back to Australia with you. I am reasonably certain that there is enough evidence from the John and Ann Livingstone's stone at Keil Cemetery at Lochline and other clues that the name change occurred sometime between 1750 and 1760. And we know from the Argyll List from 1751 of property owners that the Baron/Chief Duncan Maconlea had apparently not changed his name to Livingstone yet and he no doubt would have been the first to do so I would think. I would be inclined to think the old memorial stone you have located was created in the 18th century, but some years after the Battle of Culloden presumingly any time after 1760. Perhaps a few years earlier. The earliest listing those 4 dead of Highland Clan MacLea I have seen was a report by a Captain Stewart to Bonnie Prince Charlie circa 1746/1747 from a list of Appin Regiment casualties. regards Donald
Linda Livingstone

Post by Linda Livingstone »

Did Donald Livingstone (hairy Donald) have a family? I'm looking into my family tree and I've got as far as a John, born in Morven in 1786 and I was wondering if the John buried in Keil graveyard could have been his grandfather. Can you give me any more information? Thanks Linda Livingstone Olivieri