Hi

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jill Richmond

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Sharon, I too am a Livingston and, so far as I know, there has never been any incidence of melanoma in my family. I understand though that skin cancers are more likely to occur in fair skinned people and a lot of Scots and people of Scottish ancestry are fair skinned, myself included. I am delighted to see from your posting that your melanoma has been cured. Good luck with your family searches, Jill
Jill Richmond
Andrew Lancaster4

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Great to hear from another family with a missing piece of the jigsaw. Please note the existance of the DNA project, which is one aspect of the way we try to rebuild the family trees back before the great movements out of Scotland. I am writing from a hotel room, so perhaps I can start by referring you to the links our clan leader has put on the clan webpages. We would very much welcome a member of your family, and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, concerns, confusions etc about what a DNA project means. It is a useful extra tool for genealogists. Best Regards Andrew Lancaster coordinator of the DNA project
Keith Livingstone Australia

Hi

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

In my last post I named my gggg grandfather as Angus McPhail absent-mindedly. He was of course Livingston(e). Donald's posting looks very interesting. I have a Livingstone ancestor who was serving the King, called Angus, who was married to a McPhail, who Steve Wilson lists as known extended kin to David Livingstone's family, and we have a family lore that says David was our ancestor's "great boyhood friend and cousin". This most likely would be my ggg grandfather John, b appx 1805, Mull.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I wonder if anyone has discovered whether or not Dr. David Livingstone's Uncles applied for their military pensions while residing in Scotland or elsewhere. I noticed in a Canadian Index book that some Livingstons that settled in Canada in the 1800's applied for their British military pensions, although it gave few details other than where to locate the original records. Unfortunately Angus was not listed in this Canadian Index book, but he is perhaps listed in another military record. I understood from the book that these pension books do give some details on the pensioners that prove useful to anyone whose ancestor was a veteran of say the REvolutionary or Napoleonic Wars. I am afraid all I know of Angus Livingstone is what is on the internet. It is great that Sharon has discovered the McLea Livingstone Forum and hopefully we can learn more about her ancestor Angus Livingstone and kin in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Hi

Hi Keith, I am not up on your Livingston ancestor. Did he come to Australia before 1840 or is he included in the 1840 British Census. I had alot of luck finding one of my great-great-great grandfathers in Scotland in the 1840 or 1850 British Census. I think it listed the place of birth as well which Census records in North America for that period dont. regards Donald

Hi

I happen to live in Australia by a quirk of fate, but my paternal ancestry is from Glasgow region and Argyll before that. My known ancestor John Livingstone died in 1858 in Tirvageney, from memory. He was the oldest of 8 children, and appears to have been born about 1805. His death record I have from Scottish OPR, and a professional Scottish genealogist has ascertained that his father was Angus Livingstone, chelsea pensioner, and that his mother was Margaret McPhail. A lady contacted me by email to let me know she had a friend descended from his sister Ann, b.1821, who died at 36 in the Govan poorhouse from pneumonia or consumption. She was a boatbuilder according to her death record, and the daughter of the same people. The mother's name was recorded as Kale, Hall, or McPhail, and Hale in various church records over the years, but all in the same church, and all married to an Angus L. Interestingly, I have not found any death record for Angus Livingstone of Mull in Scottish records, so the theory I have is that the Angus Livingstone, father of 8, who was the progenitor of the Boularderie Livingstones may be the same person as my ancestor, and how his son John came to end up as a woolen weaver in Scotland later on I don't know; but we do suspect that this same John is the man my uncle quoted as being David Livingstone's "great boyhood friend and cousin" according to an inscription he sighted in a large leather-bound Livingstone family bible in 1939, in Paisley, at the outbreak of war. That bible and a walking stick were eventually left to my grandfather, but ended up with his younger sister Elizabeth, who married a McGibbon (or similar), so who knows where those things are now. My uncle was in submarines and visiting Glasgow while on duty, but as submariners had a life expectancy of weeks at that stage, he never collected the goods, but he certainly got a very good look at them. My grandfather's father died very young at 42 in 1904, and his father and mother died within the next 3 years, leaving my grandfather and his sister "orphaned" from their Livingstone roots. The family effects would have stayed in Paisley by default. By 1914 my grandfather was a 19 year old platoon sergeant on the western front with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1st/6th Regiment. He was in the famous Christmas truce with the Germans. By 1915 he'd had a leg blown off at Festubert, and was repatriated in London, where he married his favourite nurse and settled. So I never knew any of this growing up, but only by talking to my aunty and uncle before they died did I hear talk of David Livingstone. Certainly my father had the same "face" as the great Doctor.

Our Uncles all entered her Majestie's service

"Our Uncles all entered her Majestie's service during the last French War either as soldiers or sailors, but my father remained at home." All I've got to go on to tie in my paternal ancestry with the family lore of cousinship to the Doctor is a startling resemblance of my father when he was alive to photos of David, and a paper trail of OPR's going back to John, whose father was recorded as a 'Chelsea Pensioner, deceased' on his son's death certificate as well as his younger daughter Ann's. The same exact description on both. My understanding of Chelsea Pensioners was that they had been in the King's service for many years, either as soldiers or sailors, so Dr David's 1857 annotation ties in with what I've found. If David's father had remained at home and settled in Blantyre, and if things had been very tough in the new settlements, a young John might have gone back to the security of paid work in the homeland, near his "cousins" and uncles. Who knows.

My Angus Livingston's known children

Here is a link to a previous posting on this, on this site, with some detail http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=1722

Angus Cape Breton vs Angus Scotland

Angus Livingstone and his family appear in the Colonsay census of 1841, where he is listed as army private, 60. This is my most likely match. His wife is called Margreat, and the only one missing is my ancestor John, b Feb 7th 1805. John had married Agnes Edmistone by this stage, in 1828, and had several little kids of his own including Gavin, my ancestor, born Dec 1834. So upon more detailed investigation I disqualify the likelihood of the Cape Breton Angus as my ancestor, but the possibility of my Angus being a hitherto un-researched "uncle" of David Livingstone remains, due to family lore and the military service match. However, the known descendants of my Angus Livingston's daughter Ann are in North America.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi

Hi Keith, One of the Angus Livingstone researchers states that he does not know whether any of his sons remained behind in Scotland when Angus and family arrived presumingly around 1819 or sometime before. Not likely since he if he was born as stated in 1773 then at the age of 33 in 1819 he would not likely have any children of an age to stay behind I would assume. His children as I understand were born in the early 1800's in Scotland before the family made the journey to Cape Breton. I suppose it is possible that Angus left some children behind in Scotland with relatives, but not that likely. A son or sons? apparently when back to SCotland and that to my mind would be the only possibility of your ancestor being a son of Angus Livingstone b. 1773 of Cape Breton. I am sorry that I am not being much help to you in your endevours to connect with your Livingstone ancestor, but I was trying to explore the ways in which you would connect with Angus Livingstone. regards Donald