Hi

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Sharon

Hi

Post by Sharon »

Hey :) I just stumbled on this site and thought that I would comment.
Sharon

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Sharon »

I would be interested if any of the Livingstone's visiting this site have had any kind history of skin cancer.
Kyle2 MacLea

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Sharon, Welcome! I am not aware of any melanoma in my family, but I'll suggest the others write in with any in theirs! As for your family, could you write a little more about your ancestor Angus Livingston b 1773?
Sharon

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Sharon »

Thanks for the welcome :)
Canadian Livingstone

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Sharon, I am also a Canadian Livingston and have access to all the Canadian Livingston records many of which have already been organized in some systematic effort to identify the original "Canadian" Livingstone settlers. We are talking about the highland Livingstones that settled in the early 1800's at Cape Breton and other parts of Nova Scotia, those who settled in 1806 and were connected with Lord Selkirks' PEI settlement, those who settled in 1812-1819 at REd River, Manitoba known Lord Selkirks original REd RIver settlers, and finally those who highlander settled in Upper Canada between 1812 and 1821. There is also the odd Livingston loyalist that came up from the 13 colonies but only one that we major historic information on. Certainly there are highland Livingstones that came to Canada after 1821, but one has to start with the "originals" first. Your ancestor fits into that category. I have been focusing on Scottish research as this website is primarily dealing with history of interest of a Scottish nature; however I have a detailed list put aside somewhere of the original highland Livingstone settlers that I hoping to pass on to a clan archives. Are you by any chance a descendant of Angus Livingstone a Napoleon War veteran born 1773 who first settled in 1819 on west side of Boulardier Island, Cape Breton or one of the families that settled several years earlier than that? regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kyle2 MacLea

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

If you follow her second link, it appears to give a pretty full description of their family, which as near as I can tell is exactly the family you asked about! http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~capstick/livngstn.html Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Sharon, Ok obviously you are a descendant of Angus Livingstone b. 1773 of Cape Breton and no doubt already have all the existing info on him. It is interesting to note that some of your kin have suggested that he might be an Uncle of Dr. David Livingstone as his family roots are in Mull area on the Isle of Ulva. There is however no proof of this family relationship. Dr. David Livingstone's grandfather and his five sons supposedly left the Highlands in their youth in 1792. According to Dr. Livingstone's personal narrative published in 1857,"Our Uncles all entered her Majestie's service during the last French War either as soldiers or sailors, but my father remained at home." Unfortunately he gives no clue in the book as to whether his Uncles settled in Canada. IN a letter to an acquaintence in 1860 however, Dr. Livingstone indicates that his brother John and other relations are living in Ontario, but nothing about relations in the Maritimes. As you can imagine there are many Livingstones (Livingston) settler descendants out there that believe they have a close kinship to Dr. Livingston. And perhaps some of them do. Someday soon with DNA research we may be able to match some Livingstones to Dr. David Livingstone's family. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Sharon

Forgot to Mention...

Post by Sharon »

Hey Yes and we (my Mom, my brother and I)are the owners of I believe Angus'land in Bras d'Or.
Keith Livingstone Australia

Hi

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Hi Sharon; This may solve a family mystery for me. I am definitely descended from an Angus Livingston(e), who was listed as a Chelsea Pensioner (deceased) on his son John's death certificate, as well as on his daughter Ann's. This would mean that he served a considerable time in the King's army or navy. The Angus McPhail b.1773 appx was the "progenitor" of the Boularderie Livingstones, and I'm wondering if we have the same man. Have not found any death record in Scotland of Angus, although I can tell you that he was married to Margaret McPhail (also spelt Kall and Hale in parish records), and that McPhails and Livingstones were close kin to Dr David, being noted as such on Steve Wilson's site. McPhails, Morrisons, and Livingstones more or less migrated en masse b/w 1796 and 1806 to PEI. One theory I have is that Angus stayed on in Nova Scotia to become a shipwright (if he was a naval man), and his son John returned to Scotland as a young man to work in the woolen mills in Blantyre. There were 8 children to Angus and Margaret. Ann worked as a labourer in shipbuilding yards.
Kyle2 MacLea

Forgot to Mention...Website

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I saw this site, and it looked relevant: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pcjkl68/livingst/ Kyle=