Lindsaig Ownership

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Lindsaig Ownership

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Indeed, Donald, if only! I'm glad at least that it exists, so many families and clans are without even so 'recent' of a document of the family! So, this is very helpful, but it does make you wonder what was on the end of it!
Kyle2 MacLea

Lindsaig Ownership: Rev. Duncan MacLea and his father Archibald

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Craig, I think this borne out in other records, but I thought I would point this out to you anyway. http://books.google.com/books?id=llgJAA ... a&as_brr=1 In giving Established Ministers of Kirkmichael, the 8th minister is listed as: Duncan MacLea (eldest son of Arch. M'L., mercht., Rothesay, schoolmaster at Kilmodan 1699, and at Inverary, which he left in 1708.) Ord. Sep. 1712. Trans. to Doul (Dull) in 1717. Kyle=
Craig McClay Wilson

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi Kyle, Nice find. The reference contains one bit of information that we did not previously have: that Duncan McLea (author of our 1743 manuscript), was minister of Kirkmichael parish from 1712-1717. This fact poses some interesting questions: 1) While there are several Kirkmichael parishes in Scotland, this one appears to be in the Carrick District of Ayrshire. As the crow flies , it is just a few miles from Rothesay, but in a area considered to be lowland. Were there other McLeas in this area? We have one Ayr reference to a McClay in 1584. 2) This parish is immediately adjacent to Maybole parish. This is the parish where Sir William Stewart came from.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I think your new theory is very interesting and I'm glad this find actually contained new information.
Kyle2 MacLea

Lindsaig Ownership: More on Rev. Duncan MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I did a little more searching for Duncan MacLea and was able to find out more about him... In this source, it talks about Duncan MacLea as schoolmaster at Inveraray before he was succeeded in 1708.
Craig McClay Wilson

Oops, my bad.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

No question, Craig.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

It does appear some parish registers from Inveraray exist early (1651): http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0 It looks like, though, this is only the parish register, and not the Kirk Session records. As for Kilmodan, I can't find anything pre-1737, which would be the useful part. http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0 Still trying to find out which Kirk Session records are still around, but have been unsuccessful so far. Kyle=
Craig McClay Wilson

Kyle, There were still McLeas in the Kilmodan area (just over the hill to the west of Lindsaig) after our Duncan left in the early 1700s. OPRs show that a Duncan Livingstone married there in 1776. An interesting reference to this Duncan is found in book entitled "Colintraive and Glendaruel",
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

A great find, Craig!