What exactly is Highland Clan McLea?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi all, We do seem sometimes to have different views as to what constitutes Highland Clan McLea. I have mine and you could well have a different perspective. That being the case I thought this note from the Young Bachuil dated May 31,2004 may be helpfull to resolve any possible confusion. "The Lord Lyon King of Arms Officially Recognises the Livingstones of Bachuil, Barons of the Bachuil, as head of the Highland Clan McLea. Therefore Bachuil is de facto and de jure chief/head of all Highland McLeas, MacLeas and Maclays and other variants of the spelling. All McLeas therefore have as their Chief Alistair Livingstone of Bachuil. It should be understood that the McLeas are not under any Livingstones as such. It is just that the Chiefly family have anglicised their Gaelic name M'onlea to Livingstone. The Livingstones of Bachuil and all other highland Livingstones are McLeas." And he then goes on to say that "The McLeas have no direct connection with the lowland Livingstons" This is the basis for my own understanding of the clan and I hope it offers some clarity for others. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kari Livingston

Post by Kari Livingston »

Donald, I don't post much, but I visit regularly and saw your post and thought that perhaps you had missed this March 5, 2007 post from Niall in response to David: Dear David, a very strong tie with Livingston's in general is the very crux of the matter. Highland or Lowland matters little.
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Kentucky 1803. This is very early in the piece, and makes it seem more likely to me that your Livingstone ancestor was one of the many, many Argyll highland migrants who crossed the Atlantic in search of prosperity and no English. The Civil War Rebel Yell is thought to have its origins in the highland battle yell.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Donald You must think of a clan in terms of an extended family. In theory a clan has a common ancestor - but this is often a mythical figure.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kari, Yes this topic has been a interesting subject for debate among the clan.Anotherwards I have explored both sides of the arguement. To be fair, I spent some time researching lowland Livingstones and considered the MacLea history from the 1700's which suggests that there is connection between the Lowland Livingstons and Highlands MCLeas. What I am not saying is that Highland Livingstones who settled in the Lowlands after the 1770's or 1780's and after the formal name change to Livingstone are not part of Clan MacLea. And of course this is tricky part for us. How does one determine which Livingstones in the Lowlands in recent years are of Highland or Lowland Livingstone ancestry. It would be interesting to consult with a Callendar or Falkirk historian with some knowledge of the Livingstones, whether or not there is strong evidence that the aristocratic Callendar and Linlithgo Livingstone including the male descendants of every single cousin died out in the 1700's or 1800's. And if any Livingstons in Stirlingshire still claim to be of the Lowland family. I have not fully explored this, but am interested in finding this out.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Niall, Yes the 1881 census records suggest that there few Livingstones in the Lowlands and the principal families died out or migrated to America but in the case of the saxon Wyse and Livingstones there has been a long existence of the these clans in the lowlands. The marriage in the 1600's between a Wyse and Livingston in Falkirk, Stirlingshire shows a strong bond between these Scottish saxon families existed long before Highland Maconleas changed their name to Livingstone. And long before Highland Livingstones migrated to Stirlingshire in search of work in the mills factories of the industrial revolution. Indeed there may well have been a large extinction of the Lowland Livingstones, but I would not go as far as to say they completely disappeared from Stirlingshire. Two Wyse-Livingston connections prove that point: one ancient one more recent. regards, Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Dear Donald, I have read your posting about Lowland Livingstone(s) with interest. My feeling is that any Livingstons living in the Lowlands today are descended from Highland Livingstones. There are several Livingston families living in the area where I live and they are of the Highland line. It is my belief that the Lowland Livingstons emigrated to America and that the family died out in Scotland.
Jill Richmond
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Donald, There will be a few Livingstons who have no direct lineage to Dunsleve.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Dear Jill, What area do you live in? I only ask because I would say I am a living example of the Highland line in Lowland Scotland and I am looking to meet up with possible living relatives. :) My father and grandparents came from Stirling, My Great Grandmother was born in Shottstown, Penicuik where her father was a coal miner... But they lived in Edinburgh prior to that so there was some movement. Before him though My GGGreat Grand father was born in Cranston, So I thought I was a member of the lowland Livingston (going back 100 years over a time made me feel that), BUT prior to that we came from Crieff Parish in Perth, and back in the 1780's it was Dull Parish in Perth. I am still researching but I bet before the Clearance I'll find full Highland locations. So I can say that my family lived in Lowland Scotland from 1833 to 1947 (before coming to America) but before that there was a lot of movement to find work during the Industrial ages. David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill, Yes indeed you are probably quite right and I would agree with most of what you say. There are legitimate Livingstones of Clan McLea origin no doubt in the Lowlands and we must make every effort to acknowledge them. I apologise if you thought I thought otherwise, but there have been attempts under the guise of Lowland research to - if can use this word - quietly "saxonize" Highland Clan McLea-Livingstone, so one has to cautious as who really is a Highland McLea.