The name

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster5

The name

Post by Andrew Lancaster5 »

I am wondering if anyone has ever come across the name Standish in relation to any Livingstones? The first Livingstone to be born in Australia in my family tree had this as a middle name. There is a town in Lancashire with this name, but we know of no connection with it. It may just be, for example, the name of a family friend in Australia or elsewhere, but you never know. Best Regards Andrew
Charles Ross

The name

Post by Charles Ross »

Since it is very common for middle names in Scottish families to be either maiden names (of mothers, grandmothers etc)or those of friends, ministers or patrons, you may have a tricky research project! If the genealogy doesn't help, then it'll almost certainly be one of these other three. I am still researching some middle names in my family; a South African cousin I have recently got to know gave me copies of a letter written by my g-g-grandfather who mentioned a neighbour in it - finally I had found out why one of his daughters had such an unusual middle name... (incidentally, I have a descent from the Standish family of Standish, Lancs!) Best wishes in your search!
Andrew Lancaster5

The name

Post by Andrew Lancaster5 »

Dear Charles It seems you have both Standishes and Livingstones in your family? Are they close to each other at all? Best Regards Andrew
Charles Ross

The name

Post by Charles Ross »

Dear Andrew, I haven't actually got any Livingstones in my family - the nearest I get to a relationship is through the MacSwineys who shared a common ancestor with the Livingstones ....quite a few centuries back! The MacSwineys the Livingstones & the MacEwens are at the earliest times practically the same family! Best regards Charles
Charles Ross

The name

Post by Charles Ross »

No - I only know this family as being of Lancashire and have never come across the name anywhere else outside my family tree!!  I don't know if the Standish family still exists but maybe their residence Standish Hall near Wigan is still there. Good luck with your quest!
Charles Ross

Standish

Post by Charles Ross »

Hallo Andrew If you haven't already done so, have a look at www.standish.org.uk. Kind regards Charles