Culloden Marker

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

Culloden Marker

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Yesterday when I got Deidre response I immediately wrote back with the below... I have not gotten a response from this one yet. -- original message -- Dear Deirdre Smyth, I have not been to Culloden, or Scotland for that matter, as of yet. My first trip will be in July of 2009 for the Gathering in Edinburgh. I have very strong ties with my Scottish heritage as I am first generation removed from there. My father and grand parents came to the united states from Stirling in the 1950's. What I have seen of Culloden have been from video's and pictures (a nice one I have recently seen can be found at: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... id=4207491 and appears to list all the clans that have markers) I bring up my strong feeling due to the fact that I can not find any pictures or video's that show the role my clan played in the battle and I am concerned that singling out a clan like the Stewarts, or more specifically, the Maclaren seems to lessen what other clans like Livingstones/Macleas, Carmichaels, McColls, etc. did. Can you, or anyone explain to me why the MacLarens name would be placed on it but other clans would not? I can understand the Stewarts name as they were in charge of the Appin Regiment. looking at a list of all wounded and killed (http://web.archive.org/web/200408061424 ... n+List.txt) I would think that if you would have one clan of "COMMONERS (followers of APPIN)" then they all should be listed. The MacColl's for instance had more members killed or injured than the MacLaren. but this is most likely a mute point as the decision was made and I am now just looking for any clarification on the thinking process, if possible. Moving my questioning from this need for clarification on the singling out of one clan over another I was wondering if there are any markers or plaques that tell of how a Donald Livingstone was the one who returned the banner of the Stewarts, which did not get burned with the rest of the banners but still is in the possession of a Stewart of Appin living in Edinburgh. Or is there a place where the members of each clan that fought and/or died might be displayed? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated on this. Kind Regards, David Livingston
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle2 MacLea

Culloden Marker

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I am working on a draft letter to the National Trust as we speak, but I thought others might like to look at the NTS Culloden site, recently updated. http://www.nts.org.uk/Culloden/Home/ http://www.nts.org.uk/Culloden/PPF/Visi ... rtualTour/ I would like to draw special attention to this site, which will allow our clan to be listed on their page and have a link: http://www.nts.org.uk/Culloden/Clans/ I have not submitted anything, but I think we should. There was a Culloden Battlefield Memorial Project, which appears to be related, but its site seems to have vanished....
D.W.Livingston

Culloden Marker

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Just as a side note. Going to both http://www.ownthestone.org/selectstone.php and http://www.nts.org.uk/Culloden/Clans/Links/ I notice that the MacLaren clan is listed on the Insignia stone (the $3,000 stone) and their society is the only one currently listed. Perhaps their contribution and connection with the Culloden Project helped the process of getting their name added to "Stewarts and MacLaren". Just a thought. :) David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Culloden Marker

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I agree with the rest of you, that we should contact other clans and get their chief's and rank and file on side with us. I take you have all been to the Culloden website. Not very informative on any of the clans involved, unless I missed something. Interestingly enough however, Clan McLaren seems to have a great prominence in the scheme of things. If you go to site you will see what I mean. And what is this deal about paying an enormous sum of money for a stone in rememberance of your clan? I didnt think they were recarving a stone to read Appin REgiment Stewart and McLaren but changing a wooden display sign. Whatever the heck they are doing, they are clearly ignoring the clans whose kin served in the APpin REgiment. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Culloden Marker

Hi DAvid and Kyle, I am afraid I got the same impression David,when visiting the site and am not surprised by what you are saying. And by the way, why are the Jacobite Regiment and CLans not mentioned? I regret to say I am personally not inclined at the moment to favour giving any support to their "Disneyland" style tactics in managing this sacred ground where four of our kin lost their lives in the service of their Prince. On the other hand, I wont let my personal views on this interfere if you decide we as a clan should get our name on the Culloden walkway, regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Culloden Marker

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I'm torn on the stone myself... I think if we're mentioned on the Official Stone, all the better, but anything more is just extra.
Canadian Livingstone

Culloden Marker

Hi Kyle, Its a matter of respect for the people of Scotland and kindred souls. To minimize the importance of the clans that contributed many of the enlisted men to the Appin regiment including the McLeas, McColl's etc by excluding them from an onsite battlefield monument dishonours these clans. These clansmen risked everything for their Prince and Scotland should suitably honour them. There does not seem to be any excuse given so far that I can see that justifies this apparent oversight, but I would like to see what Finlayson's information regarding the Appin Regiment. I wish Niall would rush a personal letter of protest to that upcoming meeting. The staff of Saint Molaug is a source of great strength for our clan and still after these many centuries can lead us to an ultimate victory over injustice. regards, Donald
Bachuil

The Appin Regiment - Sing from the same Hymn Sheet

Post by Bachuil »

Dear All, I have spoken to a great friend who has looked at the supposed sources that the NTS quotes and they in fact appear to be silent on the matter. To my mind there are two acceptable inscriptions.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

The Appin Regiment - Sing from the same Hymn Sheet

Yes from a practical point of view the best option would be to push for a marker with the incription: Appin Regiment. I can see the logic of that. But the better angels of my human nature tell me one should take the higher road here and perhaps take a look at the bigger picture. We are talking about a sacred resting place of heroes to Scotland not a tourist attraction as some in Scotland apparently see it. No matter how you slice it my friends they deserve better than this. If your father or grandfather had given his life for his country would you opt for a cardboard box. Let me leave you with that thought and I quote Duncan Forbes of Culloden who erected a monument in 1880 for those brave highland lads that perished for such a noble cause: The Battle of Culloden was fought on this Moor 16/April 1746 The Graves of the Gallant Highlanders Who fought for SCotland and Prince Charlie are "marked by the names of their clans". In the end I quess everyone will do whatever it is they decide to do, but to me I see this as much larger issue that still haunts Highland Scotland years after the 16/April 1746. Next you visit a battlefield pause for a moment and reflect upon the fact you may be walking upon the bones of forgotten heroes. In that light I leave you with a poem written by a Canadian soldier who died in the World War 1. Every Canadian school child at one time was compelled to learn this poem in elementary school. This is all about another War long after Culloden, but the theme I think could apply to these forgotten Appin soldiers at Culloden. I dedicate to the memory of fallen soldiers everywhere who as out clan has learned in the last few weeks can be easily forgotten by the living. In Flanders field the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead, Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders field. Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields. I rest my case